22/45 grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I like the style of the 22/45 full-barrel and slab-sided barrel pistols but I must admit the grip is too slim for me. Can they be replaced/fixed/upgraded/whatever?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The 22/45 has a polymer grip and there are no grip panels to replace so the only easy change is to add a Hogue or similar slip-on rubber sleeve.

I've seen 22/45 that were reworked to accept the stocks from regular 1911's but that is a lot of modification. A search on this forum may turn up some ideas if you are dedicated enough and have the skill to do the modifications.

Charger22

Bearcat
If you go to rimfirecentral.com there is someone that has 1911 demension grips thats use a two sided tape and make the grip thicker. This allows you not to have to flaten the sides for the normal 1911 grip mod. These grips look great and have had a lot of good reviews.

I think I am still going the way of the 1911 mod that adds the bushings and requires sanding/smoothing the side for a full selection of grip styles.

greener

Single-Sixer
The guy making them and selling them goes by the screen name of TechTeach. I installed mine by drilling and tapping the grip and then using 1911 grip screws to hold the grips on. Seems to work fine.

DSC00881.jpg

I like the improved "fatter" grips much better than the thin ones.

rusty77

Bearcat
The grips from are Techteach are great.

His name is Dominic Notaro and can be reached by email at [email protected].

The grips are very reasonable and are very easy to install. He sends detailed instructions and has a video posted on YouTube.

Grips are available in several colors.

MoHawk

Bearcat
I also have the grips & extended mag base plates from TechTeach on my 22/45. The only problem is you will likely need to install extended mag release & bolt lock.
The grips help reduce my shot group by 1/2". The extended mag base plates make it much easier to seat the mag.

2245Mags.jpg
[/img]

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Dennis":17ajvpux said:
thanks for all the tips - I pretty much didn't know most of these things exited!
Me too, particularly the Teach Tech grips. I did some research on them and apparently they are now available for the 22/45 Mk II also. They will be my next purchase.