22/45 first round from magazine.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
I finally got to the range with my new to me. MKII era 22/45. It went well, It came with 2 magazines and I bought 4 MKIV magazines.

I found you have to lift the nose of the first round or it won't feed properly. After that the other 9 rounds feed just fine.

Is this normal for a 22/45??

I was surprised to find out they use standard MKII magazine bodies. I suspect that is what causes the issue with the first round.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
MKIII and MKIV are not the same. Not sure about MKII vs MKIII.

I have a MKIII with MKII hammer and bushings from Volquartsen (to eliminate the MKIII mag safety) and it uses MKIII magazines.

Standard magazines won't fit a 22/45. You got me coRnfused.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I the reverse problem....i.e. used MkII mags (with a Mk IV base that I installed) in my Mk IV... had problems; went back to using only my Mk IV mags and had no problem. Did not to any analysis to determine why... !!!
J.

eveled

Hawkeye
@GasGuzzler the regular MKII magazines and the 22/45 magazines use the same BODY different base plates.

I'm using the original mags that came with my gun and 4 new MKIV 22/45 magazines in my early 22/45.

All the 22/45 magazines work in the older guns (backward compatibility).

You have to finess first bullet or it wont feed. The other nine shots are no problem. I think its an inherent design issue not just my gun.

@GasGuzzler the regular MKII magazines and the 22/45 magazines use the same BODY different base plates.

Not so… accord to the factory manual, at least.

Different mag bodies, due to different magazine retention/release mechanisms.

The factory schematic bears this out, showing different part numbers for the magazine shell:
AEBFED5E-0888-43F3-8DD3-CC405B5A9C6F.jpeg

Above screen shot is from this link, on Ruger's site:

You may well be able to incorporate a 22/45 magazine shell to "build" a magazine that will function in a MK II, but the factory schematic says that they're not the same part.

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks @beentheredone I'll give that a try!

Thanks @Uncle Howie can't argue with that. Apologies to @GasGuzzler

They look identical, but there is a little nub for the mag release.

I'm still surprised they could use the same basic stamping even though the angle of the grip changed.

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
IMG_4629.jpeg

I just found this exact gun with box & 1 mag for $199.95. S/n 220-44xx. Looks like 1994 ish.

Are these coming down in value ? I paid $229 for the one in the picture last spring.

Last edited:
I just found this exact gun with box & 1 mag for $199.95. S/n 220-44xx. Looks like 1994 ish.

Are these coming down in value ? I paid $229 for the one in the picture last spring.

I generally prefer the MK II with the steel frame… but I'd snap that 22/45 up in a heartbeat, for $199 OR $229! 👍

eveled

Hawkeye
It finally sold after a week. It's a busy shop. Usually good deals on used guns are gone the first day. I was sorely tempted. I'm trying to be good and it's exactly like my other one.

Still I don't understand why it didn't sell quickly at that price.

TestEngineer

Bearcat
I found you have to lift the nose of the first round or it won't feed properly. After that the other 9 rounds feed just fine.

Is this normal for a 22/45??
The only difference between the first round and the next 9 is the speed that the bolt is moving. When the bolt is moving relatively slowly, the magazine tends to rotate forward as the top round is stripped out. That can lower the nose so it hits the bottom of the feed ramp, or make the round pop up into the top of the chamber.

When I bought my first mk3, it wouldn't feed any ammo. Not even CCI round nose. It wasn't until I read a thread from someone else who had the same problem that I was able to make any progress.

He noted that if he held the bottom of the mag forward, it fed just fine. I found the same thing with my pistol. Ultimately, your problem is the mag release is doing a very poor job of positioning the mag.

You can fix the problem by holding the mag higher, moving the bottom forward, or by holding the top further back.

My first fix that worked was installing a heel release. But I wanted it to work with the PB release. So I added shims to the mag well. I still have the shims, which work great. But I recently (after 10 years) disabled the PB release and put in the heel release because I just like it better.

I've read that the Volquartsen mag release holds the mags higher and solves the problem also. But I don't know if the same applies for 22/45s.

What I do know is that I can use any A100 or later magazine without problems, and no need to tune them or avoid certain types of ammo. They all work equally as well, and I'm a very happy camper. I never lift the nose of the top round, and I don't snap the loading button after filling any mag. The pistol just feeds anything I put in.

Hankus

Blackhawk
My MkIII 22/45 magazines work just fine in my MkIV Lite and vice/versa. I've noticed the same "issue" but just tap my magazines "primer side down" after loading as a matter of habit. I picked up this habit with issue M16 magazines in the Army and never really think about it.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Fill the mag, then pull the thumb button down lightly and let it go. This little snap arranges the cartridges perfectly.