22/45 Failure to extract

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This is a stainless target (bull) barrel 22/45(MK II), 1993 vintage by the serial number lookup.

The last 2 trips to the range I've had a stuck case that did not extract on firing. First time thought it was just a dirty chamber. This second time removing the case with a rod it was pretty tight. I notice 5 rings around the front half of the case. Continued shooting 30 rounds with no more FTE. I compared the length of the stuck case vs one that did not stick and found it 0.012" longer at 0.622. The "rings" remind me of jamming a too long case in a die when reloading. All ammo was Remingtion 22 Golden Bullet hollow points.

Anyone know if the target barrel 22/45 has a tight chamber similar to the 10/22 target that could not use stingers?

Just found that SuperX would not drop freely into the chamber and one did not extract (unfired). CCI minimags fell right in.

Now to the recent thread on extractors, this is the original extractor. I may consider SGW recommendation and upgrade the extractor.

Thanks for any ideas.
Jerry

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
How many rounds do you have through the gun? I changed my extractor after 10K rounds using the Tandemkross extractor. It solved the few hard to extract cases I had. They have a video on how to replace it and also sell a neat tool for working on the gun that has a pin long enough to work the extractor out of the bolt.

You can get an original extractor by just calling Ruger and asking for one. You can also buy one from Brownells for about $5. You need a long needle or a dental pick with a long point to get into the bolt and depress the spring.

I doubt the main spring on a 22/45 is strong enough to "crumple" a case. Sounds more like an ammo manufacturing defect. Look closely at the rest of that brand/lot of ammo and see if there are similar rings, marks, or overlength cases.

AzShooter1 said:
How many rounds do you have through the gun?
Unknown the number of rounds in the 25 years since purchased new. It did not get much use until I put in the Volquartsen kit 10 years ago. Still not a lot.

Mobuck said:
I doubt the main spring on a 22/45 is strong enough to "crumple" a case. Sounds more like an ammo manufacturing defect. Look closely at the rest of that brand/lot of ammo and see if there are similar rings, marks, or overlength cases.
Looking at the rest of the box, I see no rings in evidence. Pulled a bullet from one and the case measured .609. Similar numbers for a Minimag and a SuperX. CCI Stingers case is much longer and it chambers easier than the SuperX.

Thanks,
Jerry

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
jerryp5878 said:
This is a stainless target (bull) barrel 22/45(MK II), 1993 vintage by the serial number lookup.

The last 2 trips to the range I've had a stuck case that did not extract on firing. First time thought it was just a dirty chamber. This second time removing the case with a rod it was pretty tight. I notice 5 rings around the front half of the case. Continued shooting 30 rounds with no more FTE. I compared the length of the stuck case vs one that did not stick and found it 0.012" longer at 0.622. The "rings" remind me of jamming a too long case in a die when reloading. All ammo was Remingtion 22 Golden Bullet hollow points.

Anyone know if the target barrel 22/45 has a tight chamber similar to the 10/22 target that could not use stingers?

Just found that SuperX would not drop freely into the chamber and one did not extract (unfired). CCI minimags fell right in.

Now to the recent thread on extractors, this is the original extractor. I may consider SGW recommendation and upgrade the extractor.

Thanks for any ideas.
Jerry

I quit counting after 250 replacement extractors for the Ruger Mark pistols and 10/22 rifles. I've mentioned this before. Consider that there are at least 6 aftermarket extractors made for these guns. Why is that?
The factory Ruger extractor recently doubled in price from the factory, but it continues to be made in the same manner as when they were sold for $2.00. The Ruger extractors are stamped steel and the off-side of the stamping die leaves some hellacious burrs and sharp edges behind on the bottom of the extractor. Those roll-over burrs and sharp edges drag on the bottom of the extractor slot cut into the receiver, and, they collect gunk in short order.
Several of my local customers, and myself, spent a day on my range out back testing every extractor currently made, including the JWH extractor that Tandemkross sells ( they don't make extractors ).

All the testing done culminated with the ONLY extractor I will now stock and use. I have not had one of those extractors returned, nor have any broken. I replaced one extractor sold by TK that broke in half and a multitude of Ruger factory extractors, even before I started counting:

hA9uetZl.jpg

If owners prefer to use the Ruger extractor, instead of spending $10.00 for a "flawless" operating extractor, I wish you all the luck in the world. The gray mark on the JWH extractor is where it broke into two parts.
Here's another well-made factory extractor that was installed in a Ruger Mark II MK512:

qjr7Vjfl.jpg

I've heard and read the stories about folks having A Ruger Mark pistol and not one bit of trouble have they had. GREAT! But that doesn't make all of those who've had extraction issues involving the factory extractor, liars.

OK. I have replaced the extractor with one from SGW Gunsmith and did the firing pin as well. Had success today with the Remington Golden Bullets, but the "fat" Super X are still a problem. The original extractor had a small bevel to its leading edge and I'm not sure that would have been due to wear. I will continue to mess with the Super X in other firearms.

Thanks all.
Jerry

pps. So I finally tried the SuperX ammo in my other Mark II, 1999 vintage, not a target model and not 22/45. The cartridges that do not chamber in either of two 22/45s drop right into the 'standard' Mark II. Drop right into a SR22, American Rimfire and my 10/22 as well. So I believe the 22/45's do have a tighter chamber.
Thanks for playing along.
Jerry

I would say that the burrs found on those factory extractors are the result of either worn tooling or material harder than the design of the stamping tools were designed for or both.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
I would say that the burrs found on those factory extractors are the result of either worn tooling or material harder than the design of the stamping tools were designed for or both.

One major thing to be considered, the steel is mild before the stamping process, because the metal swears, creating burrs, as the die pushes down while forming the extractor. Factory extractors are then "mass hardened" after they are formed, therefore the burrs are now hard also, and that's why the factory extractors will break now and then.

Many of the aftermarket extractors, at least the better ones are profiled using a couple of much better manufacturing processes on much better steel. These extractors may cost twice as much as the factory extractors, but once you try the BEST one you will indeed wonder why you waited so long and listened to those who have never tested any extractors beyond what they initially received.

Latest posts