22/45 ..... broken Mainspring Assembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Here's what I think should be a "never happen" ...... Broken Mainspring Assembly

Just last week my 22/45 Mainspring Assembly broke. Here are two pictures:
top: my actual broken assembly
bottom: what the unbroken assembly looks like. The red arrow shows the "tab" which broke.

I bought my MK II 22/45 new in 2001 and have fired it at least 26,000 times over the years.

Anyone ever hear of such a failure as this before ??

68083_600x400.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Seems you're hard on equipment. :lol:

Won't Ruger send you one for free or do they want the whole gun back?

No, I've never seen one broken.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
I had that staked pin in your picture there walk sideways on me. About wrecked a Mark 1 frame before I realized what was happening. Didn't even think about asking Ruger for one at that time. Since then I've asked for small parts and they sent them right away, no charge. Would love to hear if they replace the assembly for you.

TomD

UPDATE

Some amazing luck !!

First ....... A pal of mine here in town actually had a spare 22/45 Mainspring Assembly in his parts bin !! It installed no problem, and then some live-fire testing: no problem, the 22/45 once again works just fine.

Second ...... Earlier this week I had written an email to Ruger asking them to please send me a replacement for only the broken piece, that I'm enough of a mechanical engineer to install it. I heard back from them yesterday: Nope, they won't sent me the part, they prefer to do the fixit themselves. SO, this morning I packaged the two pieces and mailed them to Ruger in Prescott.

that section of the piece is the "weakest" portion of the pin, and pinned into the lower section and has NO where to go when the gun is fired, bolt comes back and hits the pin,,,that pin does a few different purposes in the overall concept of the Mark (RST ) guns...we've seen them break since the beginning ,early 1950s...I still have a few laying around here, judst bought a few to use as replacements, you're fortunate they were willing to send you one,,,,good for the Factory.......... 8) :roll: :wink:

NikA

Buckeye
Sure, it's the weakest part of the pin, but installed on a properly fitted gun it seems like the rest of the pin is supported on both ends of the thickest cross section and that area wouldn't see any stress during the firing cycle. Maybe that's why Ruger wants to see the pieces back at the factory for replacement?

UPDATE 14 FEB 2022

In my 05 FEB post up above, I mentioned that I had mailed the two Mainspring Assembly pieces to Ruger in Prescott.

In this morning's mail delivery: Ruger completed the repair and I received the Assembly !! I of course immediately assembled it into my 22/45 and everything is again like new !!

WOW !!! Once again, Ruger's Customer Service is fantastic !!

Moderator edit https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=298357 :D

hpman66

Hunter
45blackhawk said:
UPDATE

Some amazing luck !!

First ....... A pal of mine here in town actually had a spare 22/45 Mainspring Assembly in his parts bin

After all your amazing luck, is your pal going to get his spare 22/45 Mainspring Assembly back for his parts bin? :wink: :mrgreen:

hpman66

Hunter
45blackhawk said:
Yes Indeed !! With much ceremony I presented to my pal his spare Mainspring Assembly so that he could toss it back into his parts bin !!

+1 Good for you!

We both had a good laugh because he said, "I had no idea I even had the Assembly, so imagine my surprise when I found it, then gave it to you. And now, it won't take me long to again forget it is back in the parts bin."

EVILDOCTOR235

Single-Sixer
Both Brownell's, Midway and Numrich Arms have lots of replacement parts for Ruger Mark pistols as does eBay. I have been buying replacement parts for years. About 15 years ago I bought a bunch of brand new take off barrels from Volquartsen. I recently bought the receiver / frame holding tool from Brownell's so I can swap barrels if needed. Years ago I bought the tool for setting the rivet that holds the ejector in the frame. I have done the same thing for all my models of Ruger's.

EvilDr235.