2022 Deer Season

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The farmer asked for some does to be taken, so I am making an effort.

Attachments

• 20230101_084417.jpg
    20230101_084417.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 58
Looks like I may end the season with one antlerless tag unfilled. I guessed wrong yesterday afternoon and missed my final opportunity to tag out.
Work commitments are building up and I need to be taking care of that. Rain is moving in before I get home so I'm pretty much done for the season.

Modification of my previous post: While out doing chores, I noticed some deer in a small food plot that was easily approached from across the wind so chores and work could wait a while. Using my best non-'native American' skills, I was able to sneak/stalk within range. Everything went well right up to the point where I failed to account for the difference between sight height and bore. PFFT CLANG. Yup, I shot the field cultivator I was using for cover and support. No bounce back or bullet splatter but it did announce my presence to the deer. A slight re-alignment and the follow up shot sent the doe into a 100' death run. It doesn't count as a miss if the bullet only travels 6', correct??
Field dressing and loading the carcass didn't take all that long but the 32 miles to drop off and return added 45 minutes yet I was still out the door and on the job by 11AM.
The deer check lady remembered me and confirmed that my family had donated more deer to the food pantry than any other family in the area. I've lost track but the count is at least 10 or 12.
THAT makes me feel good.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, my deer season ended a few hours ago. And I ALMOST filled my last buck tag. It was getting late enough to where visibility wouldn't allow a clean shot,, so I started quietly packing up my stuff. I glanced around again,, and lo & behold,, a deer had slipped into the small opening to feed. I thought I might have enough light left,, so I slipped myself back in position. Using my top quality binoculars,, I saw it was a buck. So, I switched to my handgun, with a scope. Yet,, in my scope,, I could not get a clear, ethical clean shot. Too dim.
So I sat & watched him feed for about 15 minutes,, before he slipped off. I sat for about another 10 minutes quietly,, so as to not disturb things,, and slipped out. The moon was coming up & lit things up to where I could see even better than I had 15 minutes before.

Well, he's seed for next year! :D

Now,, back to work,,, UUGGHH!!!!!!

Savvy_Jack

Bearcat
12-24-2022
-1 daylight temp, 13 by noon
12:35pm shot, double lung...120 yard run
Day five for the season and had to put some meat in the freezer.
Italichester 73' (.429"), 44-40 (.428"gh)with 6x Malcom scope.
215gr 43-214A with 25.6gr of Reloder 7

Short Video

Long Video

Here is the 8 to 10 point 11-22-2022 hit, but he eventually got away. He took a step as I shot and it was a high waist hit. Thought he was down and poor marksmanship on my part in more than just one way.

Last edited:

NewRuger41

Bearcat
I glanced around again,, and lo & behold,, a deer had slipped into the small opening to feed. I thought I might have enough light left,, so I slipped myself back in position. Using my top quality binoculars,, I saw it was a buck. So, I switched to my handgun, with a scope. Yet,, in my scope,, I could not get a clear, ethical clean shot. Too dim.
So I sat & watched him feed for about 15 minutes,, before he slipped off.

Thumbs up for restraining and doing the right thing from your description of the event. Sure is tempting at times, but that restraint separates the hunter from the others.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Our 2022 Deer Season is in the books. My 10 year old son went with me for the first time and we shared in harvesting 2 of the 4 deer harvested this year. His eyes were wide as we harvested our first deer together, and he had many questions as I showed him how to field dress the harvest. After our second harvest together he learned how to utilize a gambrel to hoist a deer and how to cape it and quarter it. Here is a short collection of pictures from our season. Thank God and Mother Nature for providing us with these opportunities.
20230109_090035.gif