2018 elk loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For last year's elk hunt, I took a rifle (7mm Rem mag) I was 100% confident in it's capability to kill any elk I could hit mostly because I had no idea of what the conditions were going to be like. As it turned out, New Mexico antlerless elk aren't nearly as challenging with regard to cartridge choice as Montana/Wyoming/Colorado bulls. It hurt me to shoot that big boomer so this year I'm stepping WAY back from that level of recoil.
Given that bullet placement at unknown range seems the bigger issue vs raw bullet energy, I'm taking my tried and true Savage 110 in 25/06. This has been my primary deer rifle for most of a decade and has put a lot of horns on the wall and meat in the freezer.
I swapped out the old bargain basement 6 x 40 scope for a much higher quality 3-9x40 then dug through a couple of ammo cans yesterday and found my stash of ammo loaded with Nosler 115 Partitions. I'm pretty sure the Nosler "E-tip" bullets I used on deer last yeast would be OK but "pretty sure" doesn't equal "Partition sure". I'm hoping to get a shot at a bull calf or 2-3 year old cow in the 350-400# size category. Last year's female calf was around 275-300#.
My hunting partner lives in Iowa so doesn't shoot a rifle much--he has in the past, just not in the last 20 years. His choice of rifle is a .308 Howa and we have some work to do on it. NIB rifle , NIB scope, and a variety of ammo so hoping one range session will get it squared away. Lots of ammo choices for a .308. So many in fact that it's hard to find a starting point.

gunzo

Buckeye
"Partition sure" I like that!

The Nosler Partition has served me well for 40 years. While many other fine bullets have come along since, I've had no reason to change. The headstamp on the case doesn't mean near as much to me as the bullet.

The 308 with a factory load could be served well with Federal premium & a 165 Partition. If that gave acceptable accuracy, I might not look further.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like you are squared away. That Nosler Partition will be just fine. I took a cow in Idaho several years ago using my Contender in 7x30 Waters,,, (which ballistically is likely a bit less than your 25-06.) I was using my Nosler Ballistic tip bullets. She was DRT.
I'm going to use a 45 Colt this year.

My opinion about Elk hunting or killing an Elk. The bullet design is damn important as to it's placement. Calibers, any with proper power. I have been using Nosler Partition bullets in all Elk loads in all calibers I use, except in the 45-70. Been using .3006, .308s .338 win mags and now the .338 RUM. The last with a 250 gr Partition.

sixshot

Buckeye
Shoot quality bullets in a caliber you are comfortable with & you will be just fine on elk, over gun yourself like many do & you can chase one for many miles from a bad hit. The 308 with quality loads works just fine, you are limited a bit on range but it will for sure get the job done with good placement. Good luck to both of you.

Dick

One thing for certain, few people will pick up a heavy recoiling rifle and shoot it good to great without time behind the trigger of a light recoiling rifle. The next 2 weekends I will again help the weekend warriors with big heavy mags. because a friend said they needed it and have never shoot anything more than a .22 rimfire. Watching them close their eyes and jerk the trigger. The past shows I will see at least 6 to 10 of them. I do give them kindly advice about the importance of marksmanship skills. Most think hitting a 12 inch target at 100 yds is just fine.