2008 Ruger new model Blackhawk aluminum grip frame finish qu

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
I am looking at a grip frame off a 2008 Blackhawk new model Ruger. Seller says it is Aluminum. Seen pictures of it and by the trigger guard it looks like there's a slight hit and it was chipped. To the best of my knowledge Ruger never painted aluminum they only anodized it. I may be wrong! Also to my knowledge anodizing does not ship it will scratch, it will wear, but it's pretty tough stuff am I correct in these thoughts? Thank you! George.
PS. Also I forgot to ask what model grip frame would be on a 2008 Blackhawk non flat top blued version?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger switched from anodizing their alum alloy grip frames and ejector rod housings to powder coating which is a baked on paint in powdered form, in the early 2000s. They can both chip or be scratched since both finishes are tough but very hard. The Anodized black color does wear off over time. The powder coat does not.

The standard blue Blackhawks from 2008 came with alum alloy grip frames and ejector rod housings that are powder coated.

George

Blackhawk
Sorry ! Decided to make this question shorter to make it easier on the readers , figured maybe I can get an answer this way . Does anybody know for sure what model grip frame comes on a Ruger Blackhawk (not the flat top) was made in 2008 the gun is in 45 Colt prefix two-digit I believe? It's a regular plow handle type grip. I would like to know the number of the grip type so I can see if it's what I want for my swap. I know it's aluminum but would be purchasing sight on scene. Thanks! George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Early 2000 vintage alloy frame before the internal lock is marked XRN-3RED.

With lock it's marked XR & L which is what a 2008 vintage BH would have.

After the lock was dropped ~ 2012 it's again marked XRN-3RED.

George

Blackhawk
Jim , Thank you. I think I've got it finally. So this grip frame xrn- 3 red 2008 alloy with the only marking on the frame being "L"should be a relatively good choice for 2002 large frame Vaquero! Assuming this is a 7/16 in backstrap the extra length between the trigger and the rear of the grip frame so it should not be a knuckle buster, am I correct? Thanks George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You're correct except that it's a 1/2" wide. Only the new Vaquero and new flat top BHs are 7/16" wide (none of those are alloy).

And it should be the same size and width as the 2002 Original Vaquero's steel grip frame.