2" v. 3" For IWB Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I have a 2" SP101 (two actually) which I like to carry iwb with my Simply Rugged Pancake holster and I am very happy with that combination. However, I am thinking of getting a 3" in .357. It is not even an entire inch longer. Will it be noticeably less comfortable to carry IWB than the 2"?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Only way to know is for YOU to try it. That said, I'd much prefer a 3" barrel to 2" and would put up with a slight bit more inconvenience/discomfort for the extra inch. Not a major amount, but some. :wink:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I can speak only from my own personal experience. I craft gun belts and holsters, and thankfully, have been able to experiment and craft several different styles of AIWB and pocket holsters for both my 3 inch and 2 inch hammerless SP101's, settling on what works best for me. My AIWB holsters all use spring steel clips to secure them to my belts. In 20 years I've learned that for me, the 3 inch serves better AIWB than the 2 inch. My 2 inch version carried AIWB tends to rotate with movement when carried that way, while the 3 inch barrel just seems to anchor the longer SP101 in position when AIWB. The 2 inch hammerless SP101 is hands down my best choice though when carrying in CAN and have experimented carrying my 3 inch in a pocket holster but some pockets aren't deep enough to conceal the grip butt.
Your selection will depend of course on your build ad lifestyle.
Don

sjs

Single-Sixer
Tallbald, I am not familiar with CAN. What type of carry is that?

Shorter barrels clear leather faster! I prefer the 3 inch barrel of my SP. length of barrel carrying has never been an issue. The composition of the grip makes a lot of difference.
gramps

Zeke38

Bearcat
I have 2 and 3 inch barreled revolvers and the 2" carries easier but it is not as secure in an IWB for me to be comfortable. This can be solved with a "deep set" IWB rig that allows the butt of the gun to be level with the belt. Trickier on the draw. 3" are my favorite IWB and OWB. The trick is where they are carried on the hip. 2o'clock, 3o'clock or 4. I prefer the 3 o'clock carry but it conforms to my body type and hip bone. Some carry appendix with the two and find the 3 uncomfortable. Personally, I find appendix carry that close to my favorite toy uncomfortable.

Zeke38

Bearcat
I agree Ironhead; not a lot of group size between the 3 and 4 incher for my money. To equal groupsize of a 3" with a 2" it is very doable at the expense of increased time frame for sight alignments. Slightly longer splits between shots in 2"vs 3".