SOLD 2 Old Model XR3-Red Grip Frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

westerville

Buckeye
For Sale:

2 Ruger Old Model XR3-Red Grip Frames. First I'll take it posted here gets it.

$65.00 each Shipped

vlcpu2rl.jpg

IySJOxRl.jpg

RZpmawFl.jpg

732iqMMl.jpg

BoEN8nSl.jpg

c5zdVwJl.jpg

oBt3wjgl.jpg

881HjDJl.jpg

K6vJAzFl.jpg

Last edited:

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Just out of curiosity..
Educate me please, is there a difference between these grips and a new model?
I'm fairly new to single actions.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Difference is in the trigger-return mechanism, old models use a spring/plunger so there is a hole behind the trigger for that. New Models use a more complicated multi-purpose spring that also actuates the cylinder stop (OMs have another spring for that) and pivots in a small hole that is not drilled through the side of old model grip frames. The NM spring releases the stop when the loading gate opens, which is why NM loading gates are so much stiffer to open than OMs - they are fighting the spring to actuate the stop.

With simple modifications new model grip frames can be used on old model guns and old model grip frames can be used on new model guns.
I've seen pictures of the little "spring adapter" insert to convert a new frame to work on an old model. But I have never seen something precise like a machinist's drawing. Or is anyone making these goodies? The easiest way would be a Clement's trigger, but he has retired. Ronnie Wells is working on bringing triggers to market, but still in the development stages.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I've never tried to make an OM grip frame work on a NM, but I have gone the other way to make a NM frame work on an OM.

This is the aluminum adapter I came up with, along with a wood prototype:
adapter-n-prototype.jpg

That block pins in where the NM spring post would usually fit:
adapter-pinned-in-frame.jpg

That project was adapting a NM stainless Bisley frame to an OM Super Blackhawk
adapter-plunger-fit.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I've made the adapter which is simple enough. But soon realized a .22 LR case works just as well with very little work. Just file a small groove across the case head so it nests against the pin in the NM grip frame to hold it place.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm glad WMG posted those EXCELLENT pictures of the trigger adapter for the use of a NM grip frame in an OM gun. Kept me from having to do it! :D

I haven't tried the spent .22 case idea yet. I still have several adapters I made a while back.

I've never tried to make an OM grip frame work on a NM, but I have gone the other way to make a NM frame work on an OM.

This is the aluminum adapter I came up with, along with a wood prototype:
View attachment 20563

That block pins in where the NM spring post would usually fit:
View attachment 20564

That project was adapting a NM stainless Bisley frame to an OM Super Blackhawk
View attachment 20565
WMG- thank you so much for those excellent pictures. It makes much more sense now. I've never been able to find a picture of one installed.