2 New Single Actions,,,Ready fer Use!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

First a thanks to our own Mike Reber (ACRYLICTNK) After talking to Ruger I still don't know where these revolvers came from, but I am glad he found the source to make em happen.
single-six-_I.jpg

I have a deep love fer Ruger as well as Freedom Arms Single Action Revolvers. But 30 or more years ago I sold the Super Single Six I had at that time after buying a MKI 5.5 BB Target model. I was not only the most accurate rimfire pistol I had shot, but was capable of keeping up with the S&W 41's a couple buddies had. I have had numerous Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks over the past 50 year, in almost every caliber they were available in from blued standard single actions to both standard and Bisley in both blued and Stainless. I also have for over 25 years owned several Freedom Arms, all Model 83's.

I have over the past few years let the FA go in favor of the Rugers. To me their is nothing after the introduction of the 2 new 480's and the 454 that I can't accomplish with them. I find tuning and fitting and polishing the actions and small parts to be quite rewarding, and leaving very little the Freedom Arms at thousands of dollars more can do better, and for my needs, nothing. Don't get me wrong, I love the quality out of the box the FA offers, but find little the Rugers can't also offer,,,,without spending 100's let alone 1000's more to accomplish!

So with the new Single Six Bisley offered by Mike I finally own another Ruger single action .22lr, he not affered it in the Stainless Bisley model, which was why I bought it, but without a 22 mag cylinder that would never have been used anyways. I only wish they had used a dedicated long rifle barrel instead of the larger Mag barrel, and would have liked it in 5.5", which will happen anyways eventually. I also installed the Williams Firesights, along with fitting Black Walnut grip's to the frame. At the same time I also fit a very nice feeling set of Black Paper Micarta grips to the 5.5" 45 Colt.
45-_Colt-with-22lr.jpg

Both revolvers were stripped when they arrived, and all internal parts cleaned polished and some refitting. I have both down to clean crisp triggers that are between 2# 4oz. to 2# 6oz. They also have not had the hammer springs weakened to slow lock time or compromise ignition. Both have been tested and and are completely safe. The sights on the single six are an experiment, I am not fond of the looks of these new sights that to me add a plastic look to the gun, but I also know my aging eyes are in much need of any help they can get!
Songle-_Six-_Shoes-_I.jpg

Single-_Six-_Shoes-_II.jpg

The 45 Colt has a trip coming up for the Cylinder to be throated,,, again, another .4505"! Plus I will be obtaining and installing a .1" wide front sight blade, I will and have hunted hard with the revolver so I really don't want to install a fragile sight to the front,, but we shall see how the thinner blade helps first. But so far the changes I make have again made these exceptional revolvers to all who have shot them. I have not had one tell me they rather spend over 2K dollars fer other options in this style revolver if they could have these, the way they are now, and for the money I have vested in them.
New-_Shoes-_Ruger-.45-.22-_LR.jpg

When the Cylinder gets back for the 45, and the Neil Waltz die get here,,,, I am sure there is very little these revolvers will leave to be desired at any price. Plus I have found over the years, when you go thru these guns as I have for years, and now adding grips fitted myself, there is so much more special about them to the owner than settling for just a good gun, out of the box, or spending 1000's of dollars more having it done, and all it takes is some basic tools most already have available, or can acquire for a few dollars,, and become more acquainted with your weapon of choice. I hope to bleed the single six on a few squirrel before season end,,,, the Blackhawk has already been bled!
20171127_110754_1.jpg

Yes both are new or recent models, the Single six is an unknown model. According to Ruger these 22 lr only stainless Bisley's were never cataloged and are not currently scheduled to be?

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Wildcatter, can you flip that bear paw-print holster over so I can see how the security strap is attached in the back, please? (I posted this request on another thread also, so please disregard one or the other of them).

sathington

Bearcat
Great guns, great photos, great story. Mind if I ask where the grips from? Both the Blackhawk and the Single Six look very nice.

They are both Hogue grips. Both needed fitting, and for those with small hands would need some thinning. I have large hands, so for me the hand filling was a plus, and being slightly larger than the grip circumference, and I mean very slightly, allowed sanding the Walnut to the profile of the grip frame, but many would have lived with the walnut, the Micarta did need the alignment pin relocated.

The Black Micarta on the 45 Colt needed the alignment pin holes drilled out, opened up oversize. They were to far forward and not covering tho entire palm surface of the grip frame. I simple used the dremel tool to open them up till I could center them on the grip frame, then I filled the entire hole with loctite 3500# epoxy. after about six hours I simply one at a time set them on the frame with the alignment pin removed, and using a piece of inner tube to cushion the grip, I clamped the panel securely to the grip frame where I wanted it. Then I redrilled the location hole carefully so I didn't go to deep. when I was done with both sides, I ground a slight taper on each end of the alignment pin before reinstalling. This grip is almost perfect, one panel could use a little light sanding in about a 1" to 1.5" length on the backstrap to be perfect but it is a way better fit than any one of the dozen or more Bisley's I have owned from the factory. Plus I am leary of sanding the Micarta and getting the fish back to match the rest of the grip, plus anyone that has seen them think they would use them as is, and have to look close to see what I am talking about after I make them aware of it.

The Single Six with the Walnut were a piece of cake. Simply put them on, and with 220 grit start sanding them down to the frame and finish with some 800. Once done remove them, used some mother Aluminum polish to buff the grip frame, then hand rub it with a scotchbrite pad and the finish is like brand new, can't tell it was ever touched. The grip panels use some Carnauba wax and a buffing wheel to finish them. These are fit like a glove. But that location pin was in the right location to fit these grips with the relocating holes in the grips. But could have easily been filed and redrilled like I did with the Micarta's if needed.

I ain't put'n any of the custom grip makers outa work, but on a hunting handgun right outa the box with a 50 to 60 dollar grip replacement,, I think most would agree it is a major improvement over fit and feel over what we get from the factory and appreciate them. I just can't see putting a $300 to $500 set of grips on a $400 to $600.00 revolver. I have used other low cost aftermarket grip's from others, but this is the first time I've used anything but Hogue Rubber grips. I will be putting a set of white Micarta's on my 4 5/8" Bisley next. To me they are as good as your going to get under 200 bucks, if you like Micarta!

This was all easier than disassembling the entire action and lockwork for fitting cleaning up and polishing on both gun's, and the grips are something all can enjoy trying without worrying about harming the gun or themselves. But the trigger jobs and polishing and fitting I would recommend most not to attempt unless you have been educated on them and have hands on experience of them by qualified training or gunsmiths, the timing trigger and lockup can be a dangerous situation created by a novice without even knowing it until it's to late.

Trooper Glen

Bearcat
Wildcatter nice looking Ruger six guns, thanks for explaining how to fit the Houge grips. I bought a set for a Flattop Bisley 44 special and they need some fitting to the frame.

Latest posts