2 Dozen FTF With Winchester White Box!?!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
"Re: 2 Dozen FTF With Winchester White Box!?!".........

In all due respect, your gun's ability to fire Perfecta ammo has zip to do with whatever it's reliability problem is relative to the Winchester ammo that you tried.....nor does the previous "1100 rounds" of whatever "other ammo" you may have been using.
What I'm getting at is that there's ways to determine if you may have encountered one certain lot of Winchester ammo which may be defective in some way, or if it is indeed gun related.....but...simply trying other kinds of ammo aint going to get you the answer.

Of course, I'm writing this under the assumption that you actualy want the answer.....which I guess you do, for who would want a 9MM pistol that won't work with one of the most common brands of FMJ ammo that's out there?

First clue.....another's pistol fired the very-same ammo which your's won't fire.
Second clue......your gun has been modified with aftermarket parts.

Hope this helped.
You can take it from there.
Good luck.

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
First clue.....another's pistol fired the very-same ammo which your's won't fire.

Hope this helped.
You can take it from there.
Good luck.

DGW

LOL ... Don't ya just love it when somebody improves their gun to the point of not working ?

Ruger and other manufacturers spend millions of dollars testing and making their guns safe ... Then people play amateur gunsmith at the kitchen table and their guns all of a sudden have problems ... It's not too hard to connect the dots.

When it comes to most products ... But ESPECIALLY guns ... You're far better off buying a gun that has the characteristics that you want out of the box ... Rather than trying to MAKE it have the characteristics you want by utilizing aftermarket unproven, and untested parts. If a gun is THAT BAD ... that you need to replace almost the entire fire control group ... You should have bought a better gun in the first place .... With the additional money you've spent on aftermarket 'improvements' .... You could have bought a much higher quality gun out of the box.

Put it back to stock, and dump it if it's that bad. Buy a better gun, and never have to worry about reliability again.

BTW ... Are you SERIOUSLY implying that because it ran several hundred rounds successfully with all your 'improvements' ... That that takes all those changes out of the picture from this problem's POV ? Do you think Ruger stopped testing at 1100 rounds and said ... OK ... We're good to go ?

REV

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:

Hi,

DGW and REV, methinks you're both onto something a lot of folks simply don't want to hear, which is, like it or not, the guys who make this stuff actually DO know what they're doing! And more often than not, it's a LOT more than we shade tree types can ever aspire to with our comparatively limited resources.

Just one of many examples, I've got a buddy with a home built AR (.223/5.56.) He doesn't reload yet, so I put together some .223s for him and some other friends a while back. Used a book load my BIL says has proven very accurate and dependable out of his Mini 14. To me, that says it oughta be good enough for starters. Loaded some ranging from "starting" level all the way to "max." They went thru four ARs and a bolt action Savage. Three of the four ARs (factory builds AFAIK) worked perfectly, and the guy with the Savage was surprised that handloads can shoot as accurately as, and sometimes better than, factory ammo.

Only the home built AR gave any problems. IIRC, it was DGW who cautioned me it might, based on his own experience with home builds. Wouldn't cycle right, even with book max loads. What I heard was "It works fine with factory 5.56 ammo, so there's something wrong with your reloads." In trying to diagnose the problem, what I learned was the rifle hadn't been completely cleaned in close to 2000 rounds, and "extra power" springs were installed "to make it shoot better. A suggestion to clean it was heeded, at least with a lick and a promise; the suggestion to return the springs to "factory" spec long enough to test some ammo wasn't. ("It's NOT the springs!" Ok, kid, I've been loading twice as long as you've been breathing, but you know best.) Haven't loaded any more for that fellow!

Haven't beaten one of my favorite dead horses for a day or two, either, so I'll just put in a little lick here:

I've shot 10s of 1000s of rounds of Winchester factory ammo over the years. Shotshells, .22s, center fire handgun, center fire rifle, WWB to Super-X, promo to premium grades. All in all a reasonably good assortment. In non-Ruger firearms, I can count the failures on one hand, and may still have a finger left over. Even my handloads built using Winchester components haven't had many more problems than that, and I can usually trace those few back to operator error of one type or another. I can't say that about my Rugers (regardless of what ammo brand they're fed, factory or handload)... and they're not even modified! Must be WINCHESTER's bad QC, huh? ;)

Rick C

revhigh

Hawkeye
seniorxj said:
Every upgrade from Galloway precision is in it.

All polishing including the stainless striker & striker body was done by me ...

Ah yes ..... we've discovered the problem ..... And before you go into how experienced you are at building and polishing fire control systems ... If you know so much about the mechanics of fire control systems .... Why exactly are you asking what's wrong here ?

We certainly have no idea what's wrong, and Ruger won't help you with all the 'improvements' you've made ... So you're pretty much on your own to figure it out. Your only hope ? Return the gun to stock and see if your problem persists.

This is probably only the 50 thousandth time we've all heard this exact story.

Good luck ! And I really mean that. I've done the same thing with jet skis and motorcycles ... Never again ... I've learned that lesson. But I've NEVER done it with guns, because if a gun is that bad that it would need the kind of work you've done out of the box ... I simply don't buy it. And believe me ... I know what you mean about the SR family's triggers ... They are absolutely horrendous, so I understand why you did what you did.

REV

revhigh said:
seniorxj said:
Every upgrade from Galloway precision is in it.

All polishing including the stainless striker & striker body was done by me ...

Ah yes ..... we've discovered the problem ..... And before you go into how experienced you are at building and polishing fire control systems ... If you know so much about the mechanics of fire control systems .... Why exactly are you asking what's wrong here ?

We certainly have no idea what's wrong, and Ruger won't help you with all the 'improvements' you've made ... So you're pretty much on your own to figure it out. Your only hope ? Return the gun to stock and see if your problem persists.

This is probably only the 50 thousandth time we've all heard this exact story.

Good luck ! And I really mean that. I've done the same thing with jet skis and motorcycles ... Never again ... I've learned that lesson. But I've NEVER done it with guns, because if a gun is that bad that it would need the kind of work you've done out of the box ... I simply don't buy it. And believe me ... I know what you mean about the SR family's triggers ... They are absolutely horrendous, so I understand why you did what you did.

REV

Lee pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. I can also add that now you've made all those modifications to your gun, there is no minimum expectation of service from Ruger. They now have very right to deny service on that weapon if they choose to. They probably won't, but it's an option.

The liability (your life being on the line) and accountability (to the legal system) are too high to even consider modding a firearm. I'm not talking about changing aesthetic stuff, like grips, sights, etc. But if a gun doesn't run right out of the box, doesn't exhibit the kind of accuracy or reliability you're comfortable with, pass it on for a different/better weapon.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Had a LOT of light strikes with WWB during the first range session with my SR9 years ago. Just cleaned out the striker channel to correct the problem.

Bought a new Kahr CT380 in December - it ate up all the Remington & Hornady .380, but wouldn't even put a dent in the primers of two mags of WWB.