[2] CZ 75 which one??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
hello, Im looking at 2 CZ75: a CZ75b and a CZ75b "SA "

I dont know which one will have the best let off,the standard 75b is a da/sa ,the other if I understand it, is a sa pull at the time. My question is if both where cock back which one will have the lightess trigger full?
This gun will see more range time than carry + alittle in the woods time durning Deer hunting for a in case of a crazy. I know theres afew people here who have CZ,what would suggest???

FED327

Bearcat
I would go with the P-01...It was subject to extensive testing by NATO and passed with flying colors, FORGED aluminum frame, 14+1 rounds, lighter than the three you mentioned, and has rail also...or better yet, a P95 Ruger...

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The SA has a match trigger and is fairly inexpensive accurate range gun but I would consider it a range gun only. The CZ75B is a great all around pistol and is multi-purpose and does well on the range in it's own right.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":2jbzq825 said:
The SA has a match trigger and is fairly inexpensive accurate range gun but I would consider it a range gun only. The CZ75B is a great all around pistol and is multi-purpose and does well on the range in it's own right.

What cheese said !!! AND, you can carry a standard 75B cocked and locked just like a 1911 ... the best of all worlds ... I'd pick the standard 75B also ...

Good luck in your choice !

REV

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
revhigh":2k8354y5 said:
Cheesewhiz":2k8354y5 said:

What cheese said !!! AND, you can carry a standard 75B cocked and locked just like a 1911 ... the best of all worlds ... I'd pick the standard 75B also ...

REV

Does the standard come with a safey or a decocker? OR can you do a half cock, then set safey??

railroader

Single-Sixer
I have owned both. The single action trigger was comparable on both. The SA has a different frame with a better beavertail, bigger and better ambi safeties and it has an extended mag release. I sold the regular 75b and kept the SA. Now that I have said that you can't go wrong with either. Also if it was a home defense gun I would rather have the standard B model because I like the double action 1st shot for that. As for a lighter trigger just install a 15lb. hammer spring in which ever gun you choose. Mark

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
railroader":2psriqm2 said:
I have owned both. The single action trigger was comparable on both. The SA has a different frame with a better beavertail, bigger and better ambi safeties and it has an extended mag release. I sold the regular 75b and kept the SA. Now that I have said that you can't go wrong with either. Also if it was a home defense gun I would rather have the standard B model because I like the double action 1st shot for that. As for a lighter trigger just install a 15lb. hammer spring in which ever gun you choose. Mark

Thanks for the feed back, did you get your hammer spring from CZ , wolf or ????

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
3leggeddog":1uivy9sr said:
revhigh":1uivy9sr said:
Cheesewhiz":1uivy9sr said:

REV

Does the standard come with a safey or a decocker? OR can you do a half cock, then set safey??
No decocker on the 75B, though there is a 75D variant, that has one. The standard "B" model allows cocked & locked, or hammer down with safety on. This requires that you lower the hammer on a live round, however.

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":23tfq3o9 said:
The standard "B" model allows cocked & locked, or hammer down with safety on.

My 75B's won't allow hammer down and safety on .... just like my 1911 won't allow it ... I just tested it ....

Also, just to clarify ... the decocker model is the CZ75BD, not the CZ75D ... just in case someone does a search for it ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
railroader":5yio4ubr said:
The SA has a different frame with a better beavertail, bigger and better ambi safeties and it has an extended mag release.

This is what CZ says about the CZ75 SA .....

"The CZ 75 B SA (Single Action) is identical to the CZ 75 B in all aspects, except that it has a single action trigger mechanism and a drop free magazine."

The 75B SA's I've shot have pretty much the same trigger action as the standard 75B has in SA. THe trigger is shaped straighter, but it's nowhere near a true SA trigger like a 1911.

REV

22bond

Single-Sixer
Is there any difference in the Stainless version?
Or just personal preference?

revhigh

Hawkeye
22bond":11hkk2vs said:
Is there any difference in the Stainless version?
Or just personal preference?

Other than finish on the STANDARD SS CZ75B .... no ... I have both ... it doesn't seem like the standard SS is available anymore, at least it's not listed .... it seems like the SS CZ75B is now the 'Limited Edition' .... NOTE : I stand corrected ... it seems like the standard SS 75B IS still available ...

The SS 'Special Edition' is described below ... from CZ's website ...

"This may very well be the best looking CZ 75 ever made. The brushed flats, and bead blasted rounds of the stainless steel frame and slide combine with the black of the Checkered rubber grips, and tritium 3 dot sights create an understated but elegant package. Of course this one's beauty is more than skin deep. Ambidextrous safety levers, a reversible magazine release, updated grip ergonomics of the 75 SA and the CZ P and SP series and two 16 round magazines (nickel plated for corrosion resistance) complement the timeless CZ 75 design."

REV

railroader

Single-Sixer
revhigh":3cgabaxf said:
railroader":3cgabaxf said:
The SA has a different frame with a better beavertail, bigger and better ambi safeties and it has an extended mag release.

This is what CZ says about the CZ75 SA .....

"The CZ 75 B SA (Single Action) is identical to the CZ 75 B in all aspects, except that it has a single action trigger mechanism and a drop free magazine."

The 75B SA's I've shot have pretty much the same trigger action as the standard 75B has in SA. THe trigger is shaped straighter, but it's nowhere near a true SA trigger like a 1911.

REV

They are not identical. The slide is also different on the SA model too. On the triggers I changed out mine for a totally straight one that has set screws to adjust for the takeup and overtravel. The stock SA trigger only has adjustment for overtrall. A standard B model has no set screws for trigger adjustment. Mark

revhigh

Hawkeye
railroader":1duag75p said:
They are not identical. On the triggers I changed out mine for a totally straight one that has set screws to adjust for the takeup and overtravel. The stock SA trigger only has adjustment for overtrall. A standard B model has no set screws for trigger adjustment. Mark

I just quoted what CZ themselves say ... it did look to me like the beavertail was very slightly different ... and of course the fire control system is different ... that's what makes one a DA/SA and the other one an SA ... it's still 99% the identical gun except for fire control ... the difference in the slide is very slight from what I see ... the 75B is milled a little more in the front forward of the frame, where the SA is not. No functional difference, which is probably why CZ ignored it in describing the differences.

REV

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
revhigh":1hq5rhq0 said:
Yosemite Sam":1hq5rhq0 said:

My 75B's won't allow hammer down and safety on .... just like my 1911 won't allow it ... I just tested it ....

Also, just to clarify ... the decocker model is the CZ75BD, not the CZ75D ... just in case someone does a search for it ...

REV

Help me with a better understanding on this: If the hammer is down on the 75b and the safety cant be set on , is there a firing pin block that comes into play? Or is there a half /quarter cock position you use that allows the safety to be set? My local dealer doesn't have one for me to look at, I'm trying to figure out which one I'd be more at ease carrying?
the B or the 75bD.. If i wanted to shoot the Plate league ,would that change your recommendations? Shooting plater league is not a major concerned ,maybe 3 times during the Summer to see what it all about.

danoam

Bearcat
I personally like the P-01, I shot one at the CCW class that I attended and it felt better in hand than anything (aside from my HI Power) I want to pick one up for my carry gun, I may go looking around this weekend for a birthday gift to myself.

revhigh

Hawkeye
3leggeddog":vkb4ah7o said:
revhigh":vkb4ah7o said:
Yosemite Sam":vkb4ah7o said:

REV

Help me with a better understanding on this: If the hammer is down on the 75b and the safety cant be set on , is there a firing pin block that comes into play? Or is there a half /quarter cock position you use that allows the safety to be set?

Hey 3LD !

I'm looking at my 75B right now ... I don't know the mechanical internals of the firing system, so somebody else may be able to help with that, but I'll tell you what I know from handling the gun as we speak.

You CANNOT set the safety to ON with the hammer down .... (it's DA at this point, so why would you want to anyway ??)

You CAN set the safety to ON with the hammer cocked ... essentially 'cocked and locked' just like a 1911 ...

There IS a quarter cock position, that can be engaged by slightly pulling back the hammer until it clcks (about 1/4 inch), if the hammer had been down ... I guess this could slightly reduce the DA trigger pull, although I can't tell a big difference ... just a slightly shorter DA pull. In this position it definitely DOES remove the hammer from the firing pin at the rear of the gun.

I don't know how the firing pin is 'blocked' if the hammer is down on a live round, but I'm sure it is somehow, because that would be a very serious safety issue ... one that we certainly would have heard about ... as the gun has been in production for close to 30 years, and is the most widely used and distributed police and military handgun in history.

I don't use the 1/4 cock position at all (truthfully I didn't even know it existed until now), because if a gun has a safety, I carry it cocked and locked. This ensures that every single trigger pull is the same, as compared to the first one being a long, heavy DA, and the rest being lighter, shorter SA's. That can REALLY screw up your aim and your shooting unless you practice that way extensively. Usually when I carry, it's the G26 or the KT P3AT anyway, and they're DA all the time, so I know, and am ready for that.

Someone else may be able to help you with the technicalities ... maybe Cheese will chime in, or railroader.

REV

FED327

Bearcat
PER REVHIGH
I don't know how the firing pin is 'blocked' if the hammer is down on a live round, but I'm sure it is somehow, because that would be a very serious safety issue /////////////as the gun has been in production for close to 30 years, and is the most widely used and distributed police and military handgun in history.

REV

The firing pin is blocked by a firing pin block like most other semi-autos these days...block is released by trigger being pulled to rear when firing...The early models, the pre B model was the CZ75...The current model, with firing pin block is the CZ75 B...

The CZ75 is NOT the most widely issued and used military and police handgun in history...Not even close.
The High Power (Browning/FN) owns that title...At one time, over 52 countries around the world issued the High Power...In fact, I would believe the Glock is issued to more police and military than the CZ has ever been..
The CZ has been around for about 35 years, the Glock for about 26 years and the High Power for SEVENTY-FIVE years...Your quote about the CZ comes from their catalog and is a figment of their marketing department and not anything close to a true fact...Even the Beretta 92FS is more widely issued and it too is only 35 yrs old.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Thanks for the info FED !

This .... from Wikipedia ... doesn't necessarily make it true :D

Jeff Cooper, a long-time advocate of the Colt 1911, hailed the CZ 75 as the best-designed double-action autoloader available at the time. Because of his endorsement, the design became the basis for the Bren Ten pistol. Česká Zbrojovka claims the CZ 75 is in service with "more Governments, Militaries, Police, and Security agencies than any other pistol in the world."

So you're probably right, at least about the hipower ... I could easily see that ! Maybe it's only CZ that says that LOL ... I know they're very popular with almost all countries other than the US. I'd seriously doubt the Beretta or PPK surpasses the CZ, but it's probably all in how the count is done ...

Do you have any links to support that ?? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to see the ranking if you have it !

Thanks

REV