2 Colt SAA 2nd generation nib odd calibers/configurations...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redeux

Bearcat
an old friend just called me wanting to sell a couple of Colt SAA's in odd configurations and calibers ...
both are 2nd gen NIB , with all papers and etc...
1. 38 special 5.5" CCH... maybe 1957-58?
2. 45colt/45acp 7.5"CCH... maybe 1967-68?
both have been stored for 40-50 years and he just found them again and called me ...
what would be a fair estimation of what to offer him for them...?
i told him i could see my way clear to go $75.00 each , after we got thru laughing i said i'd try to find out a real value for them...
any help appreciated , thanks...

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Waaalll, ifn ya'll thinin thet, I'll go an eeven hunert fer each. Thro in shippin ta be an honist hoss trader, muh herts inna riat place. Settin tall in first pew o'church (allookin down nose at late arrivals). hehe The 38 special is so so in demand . Figure 1100 to 1200 depending on box condition. 1200 to 1300 on 45 with spare cylinder. These are western prices, may be different in your area. hth greg :D

redeux

Bearcat
gregs45auto":1d7cess1 said:
Waaalll, ifn ya'll thinin thet, I'll go an eeven hunert fer each. Thro in shippin ta be an honist hoss trader, muh herts inna riat place. Settin tall in first pew o'church (allookin down nose at late arrivals). hehe The 38 special is so so in demand . Figure 1100 to 1200 depending on box condition. 1200 to 1300 on 45 with spare cylinder. These are western prices, may be different in your area. hth greg :D
theres a 38 saa in Boise , box is trashed , gun is fired and scraped up , they're asking $4,000 for it ...WTH?

cubrock

Blackhawk
.38 Special SAAs are really hard to move - even 2nd Generation guns. For an actual selling price (where money changes hands), I think $1500 tops.

The .45 is a different story. I think that is a $2K gun easily if it is in nice shape.

2nd Generations do not command the super high asking prices that you usually see on the. For a 2nd Gen gun to get $2K or more, it has to be something pretty special.

pete44ru

Hunter
I can't give you any direct experience with the dual cylinder .45, but CAN tell you that I sold a pristine (no box) 2nd Gen .38 Special six years ago (2003) for $2,650.00 cash - by walking around a gun show with it displayed.

Since the buyer had an FFL, if he wasn't a collector (he didn't say), I would presume he meant to resell it at a profit fairly soon thereafter.

cubrock

Blackhawk
For some reason, I missed the NIB part. Oops.

However, I can also say I have seen several close to NIB .38 Special 2nd Gens at the big national gun shows in the last several months and all of them were sitting on tables not being bought at $2,500-ish.

I also have seen a near NIB .44 Special 2nd Gen, one of the most desireable of the 2nd Gens, with box and papers at Louisville for $2,800. No one bought it. I saw it at two different shows, 3 months apart.

I can't dispute Pete's story, but in today's market, I don't think it is gonna happen. SAAs have gotten soft in the last two years. I have been consulting with an estate that has dozens of 1st Gen SAAs, which are far more desireable than 2nd Gens to most collectors, and they have been nearly impossible to move unless they were significantly cheaper than 2007 prices.

Just my 2 cents.

redeux

Bearcat
cubrock":ec5qfcq4 said:
Just my 2 cents.
thanks , he says hes gonna try to get somewhere between 1500-1750 for the 38 and ask 2000 for the 45c/45acp...

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Redux: Go figure prices!! Cmp sells their lowest grade garands (rack grade) for @ 450. At gun shows the same rifle with the CMP tag goes for twice as much or more!! I've had dealers tell me the garand was all origional...looked at bbl. Danish bbl marked 3-63. Buyer beware and do your homework. best greg

cubrock

Blackhawk
redeux":cjxe1mky said:
cubrock":cjxe1mky said:
Just my 2 cents.
thanks , he says hes gonna try to get somewhere between 1500-1750 for the 38 and ask 2000 for the 45c/45acp...

Redeux,

Please drop me an email. I have a couple questions about these guns I'd like to ask off-line. Thanks!

[email protected]