1v current values

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cafsman

Bearcat
Seeking other opinions of the value of the following (all have AAA wood or better):

1v 243 NIB

1v 280 / 7mm Rem Express Unfired no box

1v 300 Win Mag Unfired no box

1v 300 Win Mag 99%

1v 7mm Rem Mag Unfired (one with box other no box)

1v 7mm 98% with box

luckydog

Bearcat
243- 1200
280-7mm express- 1500
300 mag- 1100
300 mag- 99% - 1000
7mm mag -with box - 1100
7mm mag- no box- 1000
7mmmag -98% 900

if selling i would be interested in 280. hope this helps luckydog

mattsbox99

Hunter
Just because they are asking that much doesn't mean they will sell for that... If they do, I would be purchasing the local guns and marking them up $400 to sell on here, although that wouldn't be very honorable, so I wouldn't do that.

Ruger # 1

Bearcat
You guys think those prices are High ?. Tell you what I'll do I'll take 5 of the 243's and 5 of the 280's at those prices. Better yet, I'll pay you a finders fee for them, just tell me where I can buy them and where to send the check. Where have you seen them for sale, even at those prices.

tss106

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":afkzlwjf said:
No need for a finder's fee,

Shiptons Big R in Billings MT has several 7RM and 300 WM #1s, their 243 is a 1B.

Yeah but are they all "#1-V" Varminter versions like he's got/asking about? If not, you lose any finders-fee!

picketpin

Buckeye
Current production and current chambered calibers mean absolutely NOTHING when it comes to the VALUE of these rifles.

The fact you can still buy a 243 isn't relavent. The 243 in question, a "V" or Varmint model was only chambered for 3 years in the early 80s. In that time frame the best guess was there were fewer than 200 made. I suspect that's a little rarer than a current production "B" or standard rifle.

The 280/7mm Remington is even rarer in a "V" model.

Both the 300 win Mag "V" and the 7mm Rem Mag were cataloged for 6 or 7 years but were made in limited numbers.

The quoted prices on them might be a bit high right now given the soft market and the availabilty of those 2 calibers. There has been a 7mm Mag "V" on GB that is proabably as good as they get, complete with box, tecxtured pad and killer wood that hasn't sold yet at $1000 though posted for literally months.

The 243 and the 280 in this configuration show up for sale very very seldomly and are highly collectable to serious #1 collectors.

RWT

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
I usually buy nice No.1's in the 400-600 dollar range, regardless of whatever aspects they may have. As you can tell, I buy only for the action and/or wood. The barrels are discarded. I will give towards the higher number for a nicer wood characteristic, just like other folks.....however I cannot compete with speculation pricing.

Not too much into the collectiblity routine here; just an admirer of the basic action/lines of this rifle.

Most folks that I know are not hard core collectors, and buy only for their own shooting use or for possible resale/trade. I suspect that you will find me on the other side of serious collectors; just one of those things. Probably more of me types than hard core collector types, as you probably well know. One would probably surmise that the hard core collector market is indeed a very smallish niche market, and to sell at above "typical" No.1 pricing in your area, you have to find those buyers and hold your ground.

I think you will find that hard core collectors do not buy at the higher prices usually, unless the particular item is a hole in their desired collection. Hard core collectors talk a lot about prices of collector type goods, but when the real cash is laid down, might be something less. Usually rifles are bought for trading material with collector types, just like the shooters do; if the rifle is not the "one"; but is still a nice rifle.

Your rifle selection shows some level of collector interest I think. Perhaps an inquiry with a collector site or look at "sold" items on speciality rifle sales sites will help with those types of numbers. Dealing with a reseller of "collector" No.1's will be difficult as to dollar evaluation, because of "overhead". Today's financial environment does no one any good with sales now.

Hope you do well, if you decide to let go of them; you have some nice rifles there.

I suspect that my posting is old hat to you as well. That is good.

cafsman

Bearcat
Interesting comments by all. I have not seen a 1v in 280 rem/7mm Rem express in the last ten years of looking. As I recall the last time a 1v in 243 Win was sold on the now defunct Ruger Auction site it went for over $4,000 (if mmemory serves me correctly as I had bid $2500). I have a goal of collecting all of the 1v calibers and totally agree with Ruger #1. Call me, email me, send me a carrier pigeon, or I will crawl to you on broken glass if you can find "1v" as in varmint, heavy barrel Ruger No. 1's in 243 and 280 for less than $1500.

As a matter of fact I might do the same for the 264 Win mag and the 7mm-08 (red pad). Keep in mind the above are NIB (243) and the 280/7rem express is as new, unfired.

Curious, how many out there have these in this condition?

cafsman

Bearcat
Ross

Are you saying you would consider selling your 1v in 243 for the prices shown? :p

Honestly, have you seen either listed on this or other forum in recent years? There is a lot of conjecture and postering, but fact is I really am curious as to how many on this forum, other than you own a 243 Win in 1v and/or a 280 Rem/7mm Express in 1v (especially in new unfired condition). Perhaps Kelly L?

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
picketpin said:
Current production and current chambered calibers mean absolutely NOTHING when it comes to the VALUE of these rifles.

AGREE. BTW, for the largest part, $400 to 600 #1 rifles in the used market, are virtually non existent. Maybe at an estate sale or by an elderly seller who only wants dated original purchase price back. I have owned the 300 WM and 243 in the V configuration. Sold each and made money; they were rare then and are rare now.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
I reckon some folks must live in a more affluent area of the country; no issue there at all. Here in the two local gunshops that I peruse every Saturday, occasionally gets a No.1 on trade in. The typical offer is around 300-350 trade in or direct buy by the store irregardless of vintage, caliber, etc. No real serious No.1 collector or shooter market here.

The gunshops try to sell the used No.1's for about 600-750, but the guns just sit on the shelf for a long time. No seemingly difference on a consignment sale. I have never thought about estate sales myself, cannot keep up with the local gunshop offerings; always too many things to look at there.

The local No.1 guns usually come down to the 400-600 range in time or they are picked up by the owner etc. I am not particular as to the type of No.1, just action/wood condition.

I did see a 7mm Rem Mag No.1V for 700, nice wood on it, but thought it was too high for my needs. I passed on it, it finally disappeared; picked up by owner I heard.

Markets are different; some hold price, some don't. Just one of those things. Good for you if you can hold those prices on a No.1.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
The internet has caused some local guns to climb in value too as dealers use the gun auctions to help sell the nich guns. My local shop had a Winchester Trapper with the tang safety... they sold it for $250 and I was an hour late to buy it :shock:

Just because you shop under prices something does not mean they can and do sell for much more.

picketpin

Buckeye
Cafsman: On the #1 Site we have the serial numbers for 6 (six) in 243 "V" and that includes mine.

There was one on GB a few years ago that went to $2000 and never met reserve and then was never offered again. I suspect it was sold off the net for considerably more.

IN answer to your question, NO, I would not sell mine for that price but I guess I fall into that "collector" catagory. Mine is the only one I have ever actually seen and had a chance to have my hot little fingers on. I bought it from a guy in Oregon as part of a deal that included his non prefix 243 "B", back in the late 80s. He was getting out of #1s and buying Ultra Light Arms rifles at the time. To be honest, I don't know what it would take to get mine for the simple reason I doudt if I could ever replace it. I suspect it won't go, till I do.

Splitz, Joe and the rest of us Think that the production is more than likely one or maybe 2 runs of 100. Splitz says barrels were made in 100s and I'll take his word for it.

I think the 280-7mm Remington "V" is probably about the same. I think the number on the #1 Site is 5 or 6 and I personally have never seen a real one I could hold and fondle. I tried to buy one about 10 years ago but the guy wouldn't even answer my mail at the time. I do know I would be willing to sell some more if the chance for a 280 "V" ever came up.

I would also agree with roof inspector but then he and I buy different #1s for adviously different reasons. The rifle he describes are what I buy to make wildcats with and I applaud him doing his that way.

I sold 8 more, nothing really rare and actually have mine down to a pretty low number for me and a managable number.

Take care

Ross

cafsman

Bearcat
Picketpin

I agree with what you said. As you recall you and I have addressed the 243 1v privately before. I just lucked out by finding a real collector that had both. I, too will be paring down my collection and near as I can figure I will be selling somewhere around twenty of my duplicates. I still have a few holes in the collection to fill, but economy and my sad 401k have thrown the anchor out.

I have been conversing with Shooter on the other Ruger site regarding the rarity of the 264 win mag as this is one I would really like (wouldn't we all). I did come across a nice 6.5 rem with 6 boxes of period correct ammo. Also, the search for the 7mm-08 and 404 Jeff continues. I should have had the government pay me more :lol: .

Neal

Take care and as always, thanks for the candid input.