1st time out: 454 Super Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
I was able to get out for the first time this morning and actually shoot my new 454 Casull Super Redhawk. I would have to say a very successful first time at that. Set my target at 30 yards. Put my cheap plastic pistol rest on the wooden walk bridge that crosses our creek and stood with pistol resting on rest. I had just slapped the scope on and had not even tried to bore sight or anything that elaborate. My results are shown below. I was happy to have just hit the target all 5 times let alone have that tight of group with no adjusting of the scope.
Oh did I mention my left hand is broke and in a cast?
Very happy with trading my 10-22 and a beretta 92 for this Super Redhawk!

20aotjk.jpg

2mecx2v.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Those little 454 Casulls kick a bit don't they ??? My favorite handgun as well. Their recoil is awesome !!!

The only gun that I wear shooting gloves for, and double ear protection too !! LOL.

That Simmons scope won't last very long.

REV

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
I had serious reservations about buying that Simmons scope. But being short on funds, I thought I would give it a try. It really doesn't have to last for too many shots. Strictly a single purpose scope and gun.

The recoil was manageable even with mostly the 1 hand. Not as severe as some posts here had lead me to believe. I think the soft rubber Hogue grip on these newer versions may help take some of the sting out of it.

dougader

Hunter
I think you're right about the new grip. My SRH has the old grips with the wood inserts. My snubby Alaskan 454 has less felt recoil than the heavier, longer barreled SRH 454.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I have to agree to the new Hogue rubbers' the grip angle is much more forgiving... that old grip 'bout broke my thumb.

I never shot the 454 with the 'new' grips but they're the same set up that's on the big S&W.

tek4260

Buckeye
I have one of those rests and I notice a significant difference in POI when I shoot from field positions as compared to the rest. You might want to shoot both ways to make sure before heading to the woods. Glad I did. Dead on at 25 from the rest went to 9" high when I swithed to freehand and also sitting.

dougader

Hunter
I'm just the opposite. When I use a rest, I shoot higher than if I'm shooting freehand. Like you say, its best to find that out before you head out to hunt.