1st Range Trip with my new 2245

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Received the pistol yesterday. Fired case envelope from Ruger indicated September 16, so it was a fresh gun. This is a blued 5 1/2" fluted bbl Hunter with the fiber sight. Davidson's exclusive.

I took 100 rounds of CCI Mini-mag HPs and 50 rounds of Winchester Super-X LR solids.

First 4 mags full, 5 mis-feeds, the bullet tip was getting split on the bottom of the feed ramp. I discovered I wasn't getting the magazine fully seated. Once I realized this, I had no more problems at all. None, nada. Feeding, firing, extracting, ejecting, all as it is supposed to be.

First time I've used a lite-pipe site other than on my pellet gun. The pellet gun has a peep rear sight, so the V sight was like my Marlin 336 rifle. I liked it but I want to try out a different color. Honestly the lite-pipes look mostly just pinkish and green, maybe when I look closer in better light there will be other differences.

I didn't try much for accuracy - I wanted to get rounds through the gun, and acclimate myself to the sights, trigger, and grip. I did adjust the sights a bit after about 120 rounds, adjusting a bit down and a bit right.

Overall I was quite pleased, once I figured out about the magazine. Even though the trigger pull was more than my 1968 Standard, it did seem to break crisply. As to the grip, what with the hundreds of posts over on rimfirecentral about changing them, I thought they were fine as is. If anything, I'd get a slip-on like I have on one of my Glocks. If I was in a mood to spend money on one of my guns, I'd pick one other than this.

I'm happy with my choice! Now, on to practice, practice, practice and try out some other types of ammo.

Tom
Pic of my 1968 (paid $60/new) Standard and my new P512HMKIII:
22Autos.jpg

street

Hunter
I am wondering about your 1968 Ruger 6 in. standard. I cannot tell by the picture but it looks as if the serial numbers are small size 1/16 in. serial numbers. which was only made up until around 1964 when they changed to 1/8 in. serial numbers. It also show a grip with the eagle on the right side which would indicate a A-100 Grip Frame. This grip frame wasn't made until 1971 or 1972. Also it has a Silver Eagle on the grips, which wasn't made until 1971 or 1972. Did you buy the gun new?

I agree, looks like a later frame ( A100) with an early upper receiver on top........these were in the 'prefix' serial number range, I recall a #11 prefix..........1968 would be well into the upper 400,000 range.......the grips woild be 'reversed'........nice picture though and both great guns.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
You folks amaze me with your perception! I bought the gun new in 1968 shortly after I turned 21. I returned it somewhere around 1981 to Ruger for some misfeeding difficulties and "installation of the target trigger" and the thumb rest grips. I don't know what they did to the trigger, but it is superb. When it came back, it had the A100 frame. To this day I have just one magazine that seems to work. Serial is 470*** It's a nice shooter. For a l-o-n-g time after 1968 it was my only defensive gun.... until my GP100 new in 1988.

street

Hunter
With the serial number 470,xxx, that would make them the large 1/8 size numbers. With the picture I just couldn't tell. They looked like the small 1/16 size numbers. Still a great looking gun, and I bet it shoots good.