1st range time with new p95. Blazer Brass good?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Area 51

Bearcat
Well today I shall be going to the range with a friend and putting about 300 rounds of blazer brass through it.

Is blazer brass alright for a p95? I've read that it could eat anything so I'm hoping that it does. Hoping to have fun too. First time ever shooting a real firearm. Plenty of time with airsofts though :) I shall update...

timjo1955a

Bearcat
Blazer Brass is one of my favorite brands of target ammo- cleaner IMO than WWB and Rem UMC. Aluminum-cased Blazer fine, too.

Area 51

Bearcat
UPDATE: So just got back from the range. Me and the friend got about 220 rounds through it. At first everything was going good. Then at about the 150 round area or so there were failures to feed. All together between me and my friend there was about 15 feeding fails. Mostly from my friend saying he was limp wristing due to a bad wrist he got from a rock show...long story. I had about two failures to feed. I'm thinking it was me limp writsing too but I don't know. Also two stove tops. One thing that baffled me was that at an empty mag, the slide would not lock back. It happened once but all the other times it did not lock back. But other than those few issues, I had a good time.

I shall give it a good cleaning then hopefully the issues will go away...maybe?

wixedmords

Blackhawk
A good cleaning first would have been a great thing A51.

Clean it and lube it and throw another 200 threw it and tell us how it works out. I wouldn't be concerned, it will loosen up.

Sounds like there was some limp-wristing going on. You can look that up and see how to overcome it. A firmer grip is a must.

Good luck.

Area 51

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input everybody. I did read up on limp wristing so I think I'm more prepared. I wont be able to go to a range for a few days but I'll update when i can. Thanks again.

fez

Bearcat
Don't forget to relube a little on the rails and barrell hood after shooting awhile.The gun is getting dirty,dry and hot while shooting.As well as you tiring.No need to take it apart.Just lock slide back and a few drops on the rail and hood then point gun down and work slide a few times to distribute.Make sure it is UNLOADED of course.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
As others have stated a good cleaning and lube sounds in order. Also try a few different brands of ammo. You may find that your gun works better with one brand vs another.

Since you mentioned that your slide does not lock back upon firing the last shot I have to ask what brand of magazine you are using. Is it a Ruger OEM mag or some type of aftermarket? Occasionally aftermarket magazines will give you trouble. If you have the chance, try a few different brands of magazines, especially a Ruger OEM and see if that helps with the FTF and FTE jams you had. I have noticed that with my Mini 14 some of the magazines i have will not lock the slide back on last shot and this is due to the fact that some do not seem to stick far enough up into the reciever to engage the tab that locks the action back. If I press the magazine upwards with my left hand I can get the action to lock back. I suspect that this is due to the detent on the magazine (where it locks to the reciever when insterted) being slightly out of place and allowing the magazine to sit just a little low. It could be that you have something similar going on with your magazine(s).

With that being said, i have mags by Mec-gar, National Magazine, and Triple K, and they all work in my P85. Some of them look pretty rough (the National mag is visibly cheesier, and the base-plate wants to fall off) but they work fine in my gun. Same with the Mini 14, they look like hell and one is a polymer mag that is cracked but they work.

About the Blazer Brass...In my experience it works fine but is not as accurate as Winchester WB (it should be noted that Accuracy with my P85 is a relative term, a tack driver she aint). It certainly won't be a problem with your P95.

Area 51":3tbib019 said:
UPDATE: So just got back from the range. Me and the friend got about 220 rounds through it. At first everything was going good. Then at about the 150 round area or so there were failures to feed. All together between me and my friend there was about 15 feeding fails. Mostly from my friend saying he was limp wristing due to a bad wrist he got from a rock show...long story. I had about two failures to feed. I'm thinking it was me limp writsing too but I don't know. Also two stove tops. One thing that baffled me was that at an empty mag, the slide would not lock back. It happened once but all the other times it did not lock back. But other than those few issues, I had a good time.

I shall give it a good cleaning then hopefully the issues will go away...maybe?

tkarter

Single-Sixer
A good cleaning will probably make the slide stay open when the last round is out too.

tk

Area 51

Bearcat
Thanks for all the help and advise everybody. So I gave the P95 a very good clean. Went to the range and put about 100 rounds through it. I couldn't do 200 due to limited funds.

The P95's performance? Flawless! Everything went through without a problem. Slide locked back too. I feel that I had a much more firm grip and even feel my accuracy was a little better. Overall I am very happy now. Looking forward to the next time.

Now my only problem is what to get myself for christmas...a GP100, or a P345? Hmmmm.....

Thanks again :)

Area 51

Bearcat
I agree with you pistolpete it does seem like some nice ammo.

Went to a Bass Pro looking to see if they had Blazer or not and found something called Winchester SXZ 9 Training. I went ahead and bought it because it was about 12.99 or so for 50 rounds. I have yet to go to the range and see how these are but when I did research on them I did not find much about them.

Has anyone heard about this SXZ 9 or have experience with them? I'm staying confident because of what I have heard: the P95 eats anything :)