1st posting, new single-six needs bluing and grip frame finishes.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wproct

Single-Sixer
Polishing the alloy grip does not look good for long and oxidizes rapidly to a ugly dingy look.
I just wanted to respond to this with my experience. I have read other comments about a stripped alloy grip frame oxidizing and getting ugly. My grip frame has been stripped and polished for about 2 years and it has never tarnished. However, that is no guarantee as to what others might experience.

Cerakote Elite Black is a great match for Ruger bluing. E100 Blackout. It's described as being an eggshell finish but the guy who did mine got it almost gloss. It's extremely durable- I had him coat a couple bolts to do a torture test. It came out so well I had him do all the hinge bolts for my Jeep Scrambler.
IMG_4667.jpeg
IMG_4622.jpeg

As far as Ruger rebluing- this gun had a canted front sight and a few burrs on the corners of the cylinder window. They straightened the barrel, smoothed the burrs, and reblued it under warranty. It came out great. I just wish I had put in the longer hammer plunger to minimize the drag line. This pic is after the reblue and after I installed a gripframe from Ronnie Wells.
IMG_7641.jpeg

Last edited:

settup6

Bearcat
Changed the grip frame, trying to decide if I should redo the whole thing. So far I like the deep clean, and new frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0315.jpeg
    IMG_0315.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 24

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I just wanted to respond to this with my experience. I have read other comments about a stripped alloy grip frame oxidizing and getting ugly. My grip frame has been stripped and polished for about 2 years and it has never tarnished. However, that is no guarantee as to what others might experience.
I cannot imagine the horrific environment it must take to corrode a highly polish aluminum OR steel frame. The higher the polish, the harder the surface (kind of) for corrosion. Steel rusts, aluminum does not...but can corrode or whatever the term is. None of the frames I did ever showed any negative signs.