1st Deer with a handgun!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Had to share a picture of my hunt from last night.... Here is my first deer with a handgun. I used my Ruger SBH Hunter in 45 colt. It is late season (anterless only) in Michigan and I took this nice doe at 50 yds with a 300 gr cast WFN bullet over 22 gr of H110. Some good eating for the family and freinds! I wish you all the very best this holiday season.

DSCN2490.jpg

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Thanks! I too have shot a bunch of hogs with handguns but for years I've always used rifles on the deer. Lately I've been thinking that using a handgun is the way to go because in S. Michigan we cannot use rifles in the southern zone - only shotguns, muzzloaders and handguns. I'm starting a whole new chapter in my hunting career after last night. I love the 45 colt and the SBH Hunter!!!!

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,, I still remember the satisfaction of harvesting my first deer with a handgun. Now,, MANY years later,, I still enjoy it.

You did good!
Now,, are you going to use it more often,,& get more of them?? And,, I bet the smile is still on your face!

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Ltdshooter, you're ruined now.... sixshot ruined me ! After taking a cow elk, and a doe, and buck with the handgun, nothing else matters. I'm in the midst of our late ML season, had an old doe in the sights at 40 yds., and let her walk. Didn't have the same thrill...... Now if it was an open sighted sixgun....POW :D

Congratulations !!!! :D :D

A

Anonymous

Congratulations!!! I cant harvest a deer with a rifle :) I better wait a while to start hunting with a hand gun.

moisha

Bearcat
I never saw a larger smile then was on Callshot's face, then when he got his first moose with a handgun. :D :D Sixshot was the instructor for that success. :lol: :lol: I'm too much of that a novice to be able to include the picture. It was wonderful to behold! :eek: :eek: We both give our thanks for such wonderful, and successful instruction!

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Congratulations! I've yet to take one with a handgun myself. The last decade I spent hunting mostly with a bow. Maybe this January I'll get one of my SAs out and try.

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Nice job. Shot my first deer with a handgun a little over 20 years ago. I really like the challenge. I don't think there is a year that goes by that I do not carry a handgun for at least part of the deer season.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
That is something I want to try next season. I have always been a rifle hunter but I also picked up a bow this year.

That would be super cool to take a deer with one of my Ruger Single Actions.

Greebe

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Greebe":2c9ptbf2 said:
That is something I want to try next season. I have always been a rifle hunter but I also picked up a bow this year.

That would be super cool to take a deer with one of my Ruger Single Actions.

Greebe

Haven't taken one with my Blackhawk Hunter yet, blew a shot cocking the hammer as she was getting closer. I have shot them with a Contender, Encore and S&W 629 though.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nice work.

Now once you've taken venison with a handgun, it's very hard to lug a long gun around in the field!

I'm guessing you start looking at hunting handguns a lot more!

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Actually, I've always had hunting handguns but never got real serious with them until the past year. Long ago I would always have one with me but also had a rifle along most of the time and when a deer would pop out I would often take the easy way out to put venison in the freezer. This year I only carried handguns. I'm not giving up on the long guns but will chose which to use based upon the terrain and conditions.