1st batch questions and comments

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3ddiver

Bearcat
We loaded our first batch of 9mm last night in our Dillon RL5550B. After getting the dies all set things went pretty smooth and I am really liking this machine so far. I have two questions, first is the cases have a little hour glass shape to them, not much but you can see it. Both of the ends of the case are within spec as is oal but the center is approx .015 smaller. What causes this and is it ok? The second is when pulling the shell out of the powder funnel sometimes the powder spills out of the funnel and not into the shell. This is intermitent and makes a nice mess when it does it. Do you have any suggestions on this?

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
The hour glass that you are referring to kinda looks like a snake swallowed a gopher. The 45 Colt is notorious for this. My experience is that resizing dies (in my case, carbide LEE resizing die) under sizes the case somewhat. When you press that bullet in the mouth, the case expands back around the bullet. There really isn't anything to be concerned with, you might get reduced case life from over working, but they'll fire just fine.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
Just a warning when loading 9mm cases. I have had some brands of cases that were thinner than others and would allow the bullet to be pushed back due to insufficient neck tension.

Check your brand of cases by pressing a loaded case against something to ensure the bullet wont be pressed into the case. If this happens to a loaded and chambered round, the pressure will soar.

With your loads showing the slight bulge with the bullet seated, you are probably alright. I get the same bulge in 9mm reloads and .45 ACP. Doesn't hurt a thing as long as you are seating the bullets straight.

As for the powder funnel, don't press it down on the case so hard. I just barely set my funnel on the case. I usually just peck the funnel with my finger to make sure all powder is in the case.

I throw all my pistol charges with a powder measure and weigh every ten rounds after I get the powder measure to throw the right charge. Makes reloading a bunch of pistol cartridges go alot faster.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
pvtschultz":35qg8q2w said:
The hour glass that you are referring to kinda looks like a snake swallowed a gopher.

Hi,

I don't load the .45 Colt, but have experienced this w/ 9mm. Two things come to mind: what size is the bullet? And how much are you flaring the case?

The bullet diameter thing is pretty obvious: the 9mm jacketed bullets I've used are generally around 0.355" and cause no problem. Lead bullets I've cast have ranged as high as 0.358" before sizing down to 0.356" where they produce reasonable looking ammo. Unsized, they can produce some UGLY rounds...

The flaring thing I discovered almost by accident. A friend had loaded up a bunch of lumpy, bumpy nines and couldn't figure what was wrong. In his case, he was using commercial lead bullets, about 0.356", but had gone a little overboard w/ the "don't overflare the case" theories. His bullets weren't "centering" in the case before he pushed 'em into the seating die, crooked.

A slight increase in the amount of flare solved that problem.

Rick C

3ddiver

Bearcat
The bullets are .356. I have hardly any flare in the case. Next time I load I will try flaring the case a little more.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
+10 on the flaring. HOWSUMEVER, try setting the flaring tool with cases you can lose without crying over. I have mangeled and ripped cases without enough flare, and mangled and ripped cases with too much flare when they hung up on the next die.

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU FLARE. IF YOU SCREW UP THE FLARE YOU PROBABLY WILL NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FIRING THEM. or ever being able to reuse the cases.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
The only time I've had the powder spill out of the funnel instead of into the shell is when I lifted the funnel off the shell too soon - before the powder had time to flow down into the shell. You're right about the "nice mess" it makes 3ddiver. :x

3ddiver

Bearcat
I have not loaded any more yet but I definately know about too much flare. When we were setting it up there were a few ruined cases and they were NOT pretty. I also am not using a seperate powder funnel, it is the stage on the machine.

sixshot

Buckeye
An easy way to check your loaded ammo if your are concerned about fit is to buy a case gauge, drop the loaded round in it & the round should set flush with the top of the gauge, if not that round "might" not cycle in your 9mm. Another way to do this if you don't want to buy the case gauge is to remove your barrel from the gun & drop the loaded rounds in the barrel, this does the same thing although the gauge is very handy & only costs a few bucks from any of the major suppliers like Midway, Lock, Stock & Barrel, etc. Every competition shooter has one of these for each caliber he shoots, don't want to have a jam during the match. :wink:

Dick