1B .257 Weatherby

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Saw a 1B .257 Weatherby at the Des Moines gun show this weekend.
I was very disappointed with the wood! Was as plain jane as you can imagine and not even good dark walnut color.
Chet15

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Chad,

Look at some of the threads here on the 1A 7mm-08's and the ones listed on gunbroker and you will see the same thing. That , along with the poor stock fit some have had , is pretty disappointing to many after such a long wait and all the hype about updating the wood blanks for these new No.1's.

And although its not really Lipsey's fault , I have noticed there has not been a peep out of them on the forum here regarding any of this.

bisley32

Single-Sixer
I would think Lipsey's would be rather disappointed also. They're the one who have sell all these ugly ducklings!

Dave H

Bearcat
I received mine today. I've been more excited about this rifle than I have been about any gun purchase in a long time. I opened the box as soon as my dealer/buddy took it off the UPS truck and the first thing I saw was a split about 3" long in the forend wood. I'm disappointed to say the least. The overall wood-to-metal fit was average at best, but I could have overlooked it minus the crack. The wood is plane Jane. Absolutely nothing special at all. I called Ruger and spoke with a CSR. The rifle is on its way back to them tomorrow. I took the opportunity to vent to her a little and let her know what I thought. I know she has no control over manufacturing, but I hope my comments get passed up the line. I told her that I really felt that they could have done a much better job with these rifles. For a distributor exclusive (I know...there are many distributor exclusives.) rifle...especially a No.1, chambered for a cartridge that to the best of my knowledge they've never chambered it before, the final result was very much a let down. They could have knocked it out of the park with these had they any desire to do so. Just my (disappointed) $.02. :(

ETA: I looked at the rifle again more closely after posting the above. The wood-to-metal fit is really not even average. Its very poor. the buttstock is excessively "proud" on both sides of the receiver and one side is at least twice as much so as the other. I should have taken some pictures to post, but I just boxed it up and got it ready to ship. We'll have to wait and see how it comes back.

wunbe

Buckeye
I guess this is Ruger's way of taking the sting out of its gradual abandonmnet of the #1. Raise the MSRP and lower the quality control.

wunbe

Dave H

Bearcat
I just received my rifle back from Ruger. All I can really say is that now it doesn't have a cracked forend. The wood is still plain Jane and the wood-to-metal fit is still sub-standard. The stock is proud to the receiver at almost every juncture and the edges and corners are sharp where they should be radiused and blended. Maybe I've become too picky over the years, or expect too much from a modern "production" rifle, but if this rifle is placed side-by-side with my 4 digit No.1 in .222 Remington (the only other No.1 that I own), the differences are easily seen. I hope it at least shoots good.