#1A in .25-35 WCF?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Would anybody else like to see a #1 A in 25-35 or am I out in left field by myself? I think it would be a perfect chambering. for a very shootable classic predator and stalking(deer) rifle. Come on- hit the 'tell the ceo' button at the Ruger website and request they make one in 25-35-maybe they will make a short run. TnTnTn

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Tn - Left field is not such a lonely place. It will never happen, but a 25-35 #1 would be neat. I also think a 256 Win. and a 7-30 Waters would be interesting too.
LC

dfletcher

Blackhawk
gewehrfreund":svm98xfy said:
Tn - Left field is not such a lonely place. It will never happen, but a 25-35 #1 would be neat. I also think a 256 Win. and a 7-30 Waters would be interesting too.
LC

Already have the 25.35 and 7-30 Waters, working on the 256 Win Mag all in the T/C single shots. The 25.35 is about as neat as it gets in a single shot. Accurate, efficient, easy to reload and no wear & tear on the shoulder.

picketpin

Buckeye
They made a 257 Roberts that does anything and everything the 25-35 does without the case stretching.

Now that it's discontinued I'd opt for the 25-06 which can be loaded down to duplicate the 25-35 and loaded to higher pressures to run right past the 25-35.

It really wasn't much of a deer round when it was in it's hay day in the Winchester 1894 and the Highwall. It sure won't run with the 250-3000 or the 257 Roberts so other than the nostalga group I sure can't see the need or have the desire for one.

I have several 1894s in 25-35 and even a Marlin in 25-36 none of which ever get used.

If you would like one by all meens build one and shoot it to your hearts content.

While I can and do embrace "Classic" cartridges, I like mine a bit more modern than those designed around black powder as a propellant. In a #1 there is simply no reason to design the rifle around a case just because the case has an unneeded rim.

RWT

A

Anonymous

picketpin":r9ef933f said:
It really wasn't much of a deer round when it was in it's hay day in the Winchester 1894 and the Highwall.
And on what do you base and defend your divine pronouncement? Something you've read? Or an actual experience? Please, enlighten us.

picketpin

Buckeye
Read the ballistics on the 25-35 and the 25-36 with the loading data for the turn of the century when they were in wider use.

Yeah, Ive actually killed a few deer over the years with various Winchester 1894s in 25-25 and even a Marlin lever gun In 25-36.

Low recoil but that is as much a measure of low pressure as anything else and the rifles they were chambered in.

So what do you base your opinions on? Yoiur great expoerience and your 140+ posts?

I encourageage everybody that wants a #1 in an obsolete, off the wall or favorite cartridge to simply spend the money and build one. You will then have your lifes dream, without waiting.

I'm always amazed at guys that say they have been waiting 30+ years for a specific #1 and that the cartridge is their all time favorite yet they don't simply build what they want. If you had built it 30 years ago when you first suggested it the money would have probably have been less than the rifle will now cost even from the factory in 2009 dollars.

If you want a 25-35 then build one, you'll get it a lot faster than waiting for Ruger a #1 in you favorite caliber even a 25-35.

RWT

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I gotta agree with ya picketpin. Time and time again ppl will say how much they really, really desire a particular variation or chambering that isn't available and in many cases is not ever going to be a factory offering. yet after waiting and waiting and yearning and yearning, they still don't take the jump and simply have what they want built. In the grand scheme of things, having a nicely made firearm can be a fantastic heirloom beginning. It's much more personal than the off-the-shelf models too which is nice. Gotta look at the big picture. :)

Fred M

Bearcat
How about Ruger making a 6.5 Mystic? I would love to have one. Since I am not going to wait 30years, I am going to build one. I already have a #1 barrel, a suitable reamer that will ream the AI body. So all I need to buy is an action and a .290 Neck and throat reamer.

This rifle is going to have a light weight 23" octagon barrel. I may even rob the stock and action from my #1 257 Roberts vault hanger. There are many ways to get a calber that the factory does not make.

In reality if Ruger did make a 25-35, the guys that take about getting one, would not perhapes be the ones to put down their money.

A

Anonymous

picketpin":3u2je307 said:
Read the ballistics on the 25-35 and the 25-36 with the loading data for the turn of the century when they were in wider use.

Yeah, Ive actually killed a few deer over the years with various Winchester 1894s in 25-25 and even a Marlin lever gun In 25-36.

Low recoil but that is as much a measure of low pressure as anything else and the rifles they were chambered in.

So what do you base your opinions on? Yoiur great expoerience and your 140+ posts?
Don't have to read ballistics. And I don't have the need to rely on my stature amongst anonymous internet viewers to make my point. The .25-35 made its reputation on what it could do, vice a self-appointed "authority" poring over paper ballistics to prop up his theory du jour. In their HEYDAY (a "hay day" is usually when we need to get the round baler going, but I digress) the .25-35 WCF, .25-36 Marlin, and .25 Remington had a reputation for better than average accuracy and low recoil. Add all of that to the fact that it doesn't take a hell of a lot to effectively dispatch an adult whitetail weighing 100 to 150 pounds. The "old timers" knew what worked and that's what they used without endlessly over-analyzing ballistics theory.

And I base my statements on ACTUAL experience as well as the anecdotal popularity of the various .25s in my part of the country.