1A 7.62x39

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
luvs2hunt62 said:
I can't think of a single reason that I'd want a #1 in 7.62x39, or any other rifle in that caliber except the AK----

Why not? Cheap #1 in this version.

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
The ballistics of this round suck--The only thing going for it is price--russian or chinese ammo can still be had for .25 each, and it is fun to shoot in some guns. I have a couple of AK's and an SKS, and I use them to teach gun safety and get new shooters used to recoil and the noise of a high power? cartridge. I often take kids hog hunting, and my AK has killed more hogs than all the guns in my safes combined. Ranges are from 20-25 yds, from a tree stand, and kids have to shoot a group of 2" or less with 10 rds at 25 yrs before they can go in the woods. Obviously, shot placement in this application is everything, and at 25 yds, head shots are the norm.

For a #1, why spend that kind of money on a round with such limited appeal? It can barely move a 150 gr bullet at 2150 fps, and accuracy is abysmal-- you want to have fun, get a cheap SKS ($300 ) and plink away all that cheap ammo. A #1 deserves more.

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
UPDATE on 7.62x39.---I was doing Range Officer duty Fri at my local gun club and a member brought out his Ruger American in 7.62x39. He had a box of Hornady "Zombie" SSt ammo ($19.00/20) and it put those in a 1 3/4' group consistently. He then tried some surplus Wolf HP and soft point ammo, and the group opened up to over 4". I personally see little value in the thinking that this is a "Cheap plinking gun" --to each his own.---

357Maximum

Bearcat
luvs2hunt62 said:
UPDATE on 7.62x39.---I was doing Range Officer duty Fri at my local gun club and a member brought out his Ruger American in 7.62x39. He had a box of Hornady "Zombie" SSt ammo ($19.00/20) and it put those in a 1 3/4' group consistently. He then tried some surplus Wolf HP and soft point ammo, and the group opened up to over 4". I personally see little value in the thinking that this is a "Cheap plinking gun" --to each his own.---

Wow, I'd like a "Ruger American in 7.62x39" . When did Ruger start chambering the American rifle in 7.62x39 ?