1996 Model SRH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Today, I traded an M77 MkII in .243 for a 1996 model 7.5" Super Red Hawk. The original scope rinigs and plastic factory box were with the gun, as was all the original dirt, grime, powder residue etc. I stripped it down tonight and spent about three quality time hours detail cleaning the innards and inspecting it for boogers.... none found. With my short, chunky fingers, the RedHawk is the only large framed revolver I've ever picked up that I could seem to operate, so I'm tickled to death to find this deal. Also got a full box of Win 240 gr jsp ammo in the deal.

Anything I need to be aware of concerning the 1996 age group SRH before I buy the dies to reload for this beast?

surv

edit to add.... I'd doubt that very many rounds were ever fired through this gun. Looked like it was over oiled, shot a little and put away dirty

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Well.... I only have two boxes of factory ammo on hand, but I ain't gonna complain about spending 40 bucks for the Lee dies. I figuring on a basic semi-light load of 240 gr lswc and around 9.2 to 9.3 gr Unique for range plinking. Should make the brass last a bit longer. Yeah, I know I need to order a bag or two of Starline brass if I'm gonna feed it regular. I'll work up a a hunting load eventually, if I decide to spring for another $200-300 for a basic scope. Main thing to me is to shoot as much big-boy stuff as I can before the "Itis Boys" completely take over my joints. :wink: That thought reminded me I need to make a post in the "Big-Boy Rifle Section" about the .458 WinMag :D

surv

98Redline

Blackhawk
You really don't need to plunk down the extra cash for the 4 die set from lee when reloading the .44mag. The 3 die set works well and is $10 cheaper.

Based on the fact that you are looking to feed it lead boolits, I would actually advise against it. The carbide factory crimp die has a well known history if swaging down lead bullets when it runs the carbide sizing ring down over the boolit and case. You could very easily end up shooting a .429" bullet when you actually loaded a .431" due to the swaging action.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
98Redline said:
You really don't need to plunk down the extra cash for the 4 die set from lee when reloading the .44mag. The 3 die set works well and is $10 cheaper.

Based on the fact that you are looking to feed it lead boolits, I would actually advise against it. The carbide factory crimp die has a well known history if swaging down lead bullets when it runs the carbide sizing ring down over the boolit and case. You could very easily end up shooting a .429" bullet when you actually loaded a .431" due to the swaging action.

Easy fix, don't use the FCD. Seat the bullet and roll crimp in the bullet seating die.
Sal

98Redline

Blackhawk
Sal1950 said:
Easy fix, don't use the FCD. Seat the bullet and roll crimp in the bullet seating die.
Sal

My point exactly. Why buy the extra die you are not going to use it in the first place.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
good point.

I do use the FCD on my .357 loads with lswc's and have noticed no ill effects, but that's for a 3" SP101, which ain't a precision shooter to begin with. I want all the advantages I can get from this new-to-me SRH, so I'll reconsider the thought of using the FCD on the lead. But, would there be any problems using the FCD with jacketed rounds? Really, the only advantage in the FCD is leaving my dies preset in the quick lock bushings and rarely ever having to make any adjustments. Lazy? Guilty as charged :wink:

Thanks for the input.

surv

98Redline

Blackhawk
I don't think there would be any harm using the FCD with jacketed bullets other than working your brass a little more.

I am not sure which press you use but I have found that with a single stage press (older lee challenger without the quick lock system) it only takes me a a minute or so to set up each die. I have a "setup round" made up for each of my commonly loaded configurations. Using this inert round I have been able to set my dies consistently with no issues.

I measure everything after they are set up but I haven't had an issue that required adjustment yet.