1980 Ruger M77R

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brendan1911

Bearcat
Well since this is my first post on this forum, hello all! I've been reading around the forum a lot lately but only just joined, and I have a question I can't seem to fond the answer to.

So I recently got a Ruger M77 in .308, made in 1980. The gun's still in its original box, doesn't have so much as ONE scratch/ding, and the guy sold it for $325, including reloading dies, some ammo, and a few pounds of IMR4064, among other things. I've never reloaded for .308 so I don't know if that's a good powder, but it'll certainly work for my M1 Garand. It was most certainly a steal haha and I love the look of the gun.

My first question is, what is an M77R? The gun was given to the seller by his brother, and the seller knew nothing about guns so he had someone give him a value. That someone also told him it's an M77 R. I'm just curious what the "R" stands for, if it means anything at all. Or does it just mean it's a first-gen M77, vs a MarkII or hawkeye?

Second, what kind of accuracy should I expect? I intend to make it a deer/black bear hunting rifle, so I'm sure the accuracy will be fine for that. but ocassionally I like to go shoot out to 200 yards (farthest range around here), and I'd like to know what to expect? I'm used to shooting 200 yards with my fathers BLR (7mm-08) and his Howa 1500 (.243). Is this likely to compare to the Howa or not? I've heard that the accuracy greatly varies depending on the barrel manufacturer. Is there any way to tell if I got a good barrel, maybe by the serial number?

Thanks for reading this! I'll know after this weekend how it shoots at 50 yards, and if I get if sighted in and find a load i like that quickly, I may even take it hunting this November

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
Welcome, and congrats on the rifle! Definitely a great deal. Yours has one of the barrels which are shunned for lousy accuracy. I wouldn't let that dampen your enthusiasm. I have two which are about the same age as yours, and they both shoot well. One of them, in .280, a bit better than the other. R is for a standard rifle, RS has sights, and there are some others as well. I have never used 4064 in a .308, 4895 is my go to powder. Torque your action screws correctly, they can be the source of mayhem.

brendan1911

Bearcat
I recently ordered an M1 garand, and will likely use that 4064 for loading 30-06 ammo for that. I'm picking up the scope/powder/dies tomorrow, and i know there's more powder. He has a bunch of reloading stuff, and I saw the box, but he wants to go through and keep the non-.308 dies. All the powder, and 4-5 boxes of ammo are mine though :D All the action screws are tight. My dad says if it needs it, he'll help me glass bed the action and free float the barrel. He's about as close to a gunsmith as one can be without truly being one, and I'd like to learn. I don't know if that'll help though if the barrel causes the innacurracy, but we shall see haha

pete44ru

Hunter

1) Welcome to the forum !

2) Each & every rifle's (and/or barrel's) accuracy can be unique, and I wouldn't be so fast to say that your rifle will not be accurate.

The proof's in the pudding - shoot it first......................................

brendan1911

Bearcat
I know, I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. and I shouldn't assume that a floated barrel means too much at the ranges i shoot at, since I can shoot moa groups at 100 yards with that BLR, and that has a barrel band on the forward stock, and the worlds lightest barrel. It shoots very accurately, until the barrel warms up. So I'll find out how it shoots this Sunday, but my hopes are high

Fatdaddy

Single-Sixer
I'd be willing to bet it's accurate enough.
The 77R wasn't designed to be benched but hunted with....
for that it should serve you well.
Great price on the rifle and the extras are just icing on the cake.