1976 Ruger bicentennial 22 pistol grip question...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deerslayerdfr

Bearcat
I own a Ruger 1976 Bi-Centennial model 22 pistol. Ser. # 13-57682. It has a typical front sight and the standard fixed blade rear sight. It has the original stock Ruger plastic black grips on both sides with the Ruger medallion in the upper 1/3 of the left side panel. The right side grip is just a blank panel. Both the left and right side upper grip panel screws are really just about opposite of each other, but the lower panel screw on the left side is much lower then the grip panel screw that is on the right panel. Both grips are checkered. The magazine well needs to have magazines with the slide spring pin on the right side. My wife really enjoys plinking with this fine pistol, but, the grips are just eating up her hands even though its a 22. She could shoot all day except the grip panel checkering starts to eat at her hand as the day wears on. Now, for the big question-----I am looking for a good set of Hogue wraparound finger grip style grips...and all I have run across are types that are for the Mark I, II and III.....This model is not compatible with the "Standard" model, as this grip has the mounting screws holes in the grips are exactly across from each other, both on the top and bottom...Does anyone know of a Hogue grip that will fit this gun with the left grip panel mounting holes that are farther apart then the holes on the right side panel....if the even make one...If you have the exact model number of the grip product would be greatly appreciated if it's even possible or is my wife just yugo out of luck???

eveled

Hawkeye
Not aware of any. You might have to drill a new hole in a set of mkII grips. Or buy her gloves. Or a new gun.......

Greetings , you say BOTH sides of the guns grips the holes are "directly across" from each other????none of the semi autos we ever had , owned, and sold back in the mid 70s were like that the holes are reversed from the early A-54 frames, the left panel holes were lower at the bottom, and on the right side ,slightly higher,,,this was reversed for the A-100 frames right side lower than the left side....please measure, double check what you are saying cause I've never seen , nor heard of this............
I have put the Pachmayr wrap around rubber grips on many of those models over the years, they fit well...just make sure you grease them up on the underside so as to NOT get rust ( condensation) under the grips....seen MANY left on guns and they will rust up under ANY " rubber baby buggy bumper" style grips.............

here I grabbed a few grips to show the difference, early A-54, then A-100 then onto the MKII same holes but cutout at the top for the bolt slide 'hold open', AND if for a newer MK III need to cut a round "Notch" on the front upper side of the left panel for the mag release button..........

Ojv20ttm.jpg

You can take the grips off the gun, compare the holes, OR even ,LOOK,SEE if someone has drilled an "extra" hole to use another grip panel?? see panels and the grips frames get swapped around ALL the time.......

street

Hunter
Factory grips for the 1976 Standard an MK-I Autos should have the A-100 frame with the medallion on the right grip only, not on the left grip like yours. Your grip frame should be an A-100 grip frame. As your medallion is on the left side, someone must have changed the A-100 frame to the A-54 older frame. You didn't say which medallion you have. Is it silver with a black bird, of black with a silver bird?

deerslayerdfr

Bearcat
Dear Rugerguy, if you read my description carefully, I state the left side and right side upper screws are the same but on the left, the lower screw is much lower than the screw on the right side... no other holes have been added and threaded to the frame. As for Hunter, the medallion on the left panel is the silver circle with the black dragon, and the right side is just blank. Both grip panels have the same checkering... any more info is appreciated... thanks

street

Hunter
deerslayerdfr said:
Dear Rugerguy, if you read my description carefully, I state the left side and right side upper screws are the same but on the left, the lower screw is much lower than the screw on the right side... no other holes have been added and threaded to the frame. As for Hunter, the medallion on the left panel is the silver circle with the black dragon, and the right side is just blank. Both grip panels have the same checkering... any more info is appreciated... thanks
With the Silver with a Black Eagle, medallion on the left grip panel tells me that you have an, A-54 grip frame instead of the A-100 frame that should be on a "76" model. Some one has changed grip frames.

pictures would really help, what you describe is someone has either modified or replaced, or "added" a medallion to another grip panel, whatever...HOLE locations is the key to what frame, NOT what or where the medallions may be.......have seen them with NO medallions as well..........couple of screws and some spare panels you can mix and match to your hearts content...bottom line the 1976 gun CAME with an A-100 frame, and there are all kinds of rubber grips out there that can be put on it, even later MK II grips, if you block off ( filler or spacer) in the hold open cutout of the left hand panel.... :wink:

deerslayerdfr

Bearcat
Thanks to ALL who replied and gave me some very important info on the 1976 Bi-centennial model....I will definitely be looking for the A-100 frame to get it back to what it should be... again, thanks to ALL for the important info...

Latest posts