1972 Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag; questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rulnthunder

Bearcat
Hi I have a Super Blackhawk with a serial # 80-xxxxx with bone ruger grips. I have tried to research a price for it, but having a hard time. It has 7 1/2 barrel, adjustable rear site, square back trigger guard, unfluted cylinder and it looks like it is a brass frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't see anywhere to add a pic

Steve

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Steve,

Pictures are required for best answers. However we can get a start on your gun, thinking it is old model S47.

1. Bone grips? What ever they are and fit the square back trigger guard, they are not
genuine Ruger. May have Ruger medallions but I do not believe any grips for that grip frame (pre 1973) other than wood.

2. Brass frame? Take grips off and look for MRDB3 cast in to grip frame. I bet it is marked so.

3. Now if MRDB3 it is real frame value of frame alone is $300+. If it was installed at the factory it adds a great deal to value of gun.

4. Most of the S47Bs serial numbers are known and published. Send me via PM the complete serial number and I will look it up for you.

5. Folks here on RF really need pics to provide best advise.

SATCOM

street

Hunter
It should read MR-3DB instead of MRDB3! Even if it reads MR-3DB that doesn't mean it was shipped from the factory that way it only means it's a Ruger Brass Frame, which could have been added later. Only by checking with Ruger can you tell if it was shipped with a Brass Frame. If you will give us your serial number then we might be able to tell you if it was shipped that way. I have a Book written by Dougan, who had access to factory records and if it is listed in his book then it will be a Factory shipped Brass Frame.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
:mrgreen: DING DING DING we have a winner! 80-50056 is listed as a factory installed MR-3DB (Thanks street) brass grip frame S47B!

I will let others advise you of value but will ask why needed value, are you thinking of selling?

SATCOM

rulnthunder

Bearcat
My father in law passed away couple of months ago and my MIL wanted me to see about selling his guns. This is the only Ruger he had, and I wanted to get a quote from more experienced people. There is a big price difference for the brass frame.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
You are going to have to provide several good pictures of all areas of the gun before anybody could give you an accurate answer to that

SATCOM