1970 .44 mag carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

old sarge

Bearcat
I found a 44 Mag carbine, deerslayer made in 1971, It cost me $600 bucks. I got it in January of this year. As I was leaving the show I was stopped by a guy that thought I was selling it, offered me $750, he wanted it bad. So do I, been looking for years, since I saw a picture of one. Had not taken it to the range yet.

The One I have is in very good condition, small scathes in the stock.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
budshad said:
Jimbo357mag said:
The 44 Carbine and the Mark I pistol is what got Sturm Ruger Co. really going in the gun business.

There is actually lots of demand for those old carbines. There are also several variations.

Tthanks for your reply. Variations? Like what? Im not questioning you. Im wanting knowledge.
There were two Carbines, an early one and a later one with a few mechanical differences. There was also a Deerslayer model as mentioned above that had a name change because of a lawsuit. There were some models with a Mannlicher (full length) stock. There were some with checkering and some that didn't have any.

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

There was also a different model alltogether that came out later called a Deerfield 96/44.

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
I have a sportster model...My first gun purchase in 1970...It's retired now...cause I am...someday my son will have it, and take another deer or two...an amazing, accurate, deadly firearm....he and I both have taken many deer with this lil girl....she barks, she bites, and she leaves a big hole...not too shabby I think....

When the 44 Carbine was introduced in 1961, it was called the DEERSTALKER, not deerslayer, but to avoid a lawsuit, WBR removed the moniker and just called it the 44 Carbine...there were two other different models as mentioned, the Fingergroove Sporter with Monte Carlo style comb and the Mannlicher/International with full stock, both are very collectible.. there was a 25th Anniversary model released in 1985, the last year of production that was the standard Carbine stock with a 25th Anniversary medallion inlaid in the buttstock.

Some carbines left the factory with receiver sights, thus were referred to as 44RS models.

Beautiful rifle, enjoy it!

pete44ru

Hunter

You did well, indeed.......

aD9i8rK.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
That's real nice, I have one that has a much needed pad on it, the stock was cut for it but its a good rifle.