1968 Ruger Singe Six Standard

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Ok guy's,
I went to the LGS last Wednesday to just really talk to the owner/friend and maybe nose a little. When I got there, he was buy/trading with a lady that brought in three revolvers that were her late fathers. I did not get a chance to see them. So after she left, I asked him what he bought. He told me I was going to like what he got. He brought out an old .357 S&W model 28 patrolman in really good shape and a snub nose 32 S&W all in great shape. I liked the S&W but then he showed me the Ruger Single Six three screw. I picked it up and it has not been converted. Action was nice and smooth for an old Colt style action. Trigger crisp clean and light. I asked what he wanted for it. He said he was not sure that he would let me know in three day's. Since it is a pawn shop the guns have to be held for three days to make sure they are not stolen. I went back on Friday and he let me have it for $475 out the door. I was happy with the price and happy she is mine now.

Picked her up last night. Took some pictures of her today and ran a scope down the barrel last night to see cylinder bore alinement. They all lined up pretty well, no complaints. Going to my range in a few minuets (home range) to test her out. But in the meantime, her she is with my 1966 Marlin 39A Mountie and a Case knife that someone put a stag handle on. One of many combo's that I have.

Took pictures of her with her new companions 1966 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie and a Case knife that has a stag grip someone put on it.

Took her to the range with some decent ammo and after a little windage adjustment on the rear sight, I could not be more pleased. What a great shooter. She is prestine except for a little wear on the ejector rod housing. Have a steel housing on the way, along with some new grips from Altamont grips (fancy).

Only thing not 100% sure about is that the cylinder has three numbers that stamped instead of penciled and they are not the same as the serial that is on the revolver. Does not matter really she is perfect in every other way. I don't know if in 1968 the numbers were stamped or penciled into the cylinder. If stamped maybe it got mixed up at the factory. It did not come with the Mas cylinder. Ruger told me it was made September 1968. Six years younger than I am. :)

Valman

Bearcat
I'm smiling. I have a nice old Marlin 39 (pre 39A) too, and it's perfect mate to any of the several three-screw Single Sixes in the cabinet, as well as the little Bearcat, the hiker's best friend. Wearing a set of Lyman sights, the Marlin is a tack driver with CCI Green standard velocity .22lr. The pistlols do alright too.

Rifle/pistol combos somehow resonate. The old Winchester?Colt SAA combos in .44 and .38 WCF may be a tad mythical, but today there are any number of possibilities to pair in .22lr, .38/.357, 9mm and .44 magnum handguns with long guns from a host of manufacturers and importers.

I'm particularly fond of pulling out the Ruger #3 single shot .44 -- scarce in that caliber, but not rare -- and one of my .44 wheelguns. There's also a .44 Rossi lever gun that is a perfect mate to a newish Lipsey .44 Special flattop. I prefer using both pistol and rifle with .44 Special handloads to bash steel pigs or rams at the local gun club. My grandkids are learning to do it too, starting with the .22s.

Is this a great country, or what?!

Congratulations on the single six… they're great little shooters! :)

Kevin said:
…. The old model single sixes look nicer than the new models somehow. ….
The frames are different. They are more boxy on the New Model.

jstanfield103 said:
cylinder has three numbers that stamped instead of penciled and they are not the same as the serial that is on the revolver. Does not matter really she is perfect in every other way. I don't know if in 1968 the numbers were stamped or penciled into the cylinder. If stamped maybe it got mixed up at the factory. It did not come with the Mas cylinder. Ruger told me it was made September 1968. Six years younger than I am. :)
Isn't buying used guns fun? They were penciled in. They seem to get better at it as years go by, lol. Both cylinders on my 2013 stainless convertible were done fairly well. It may be your cylinder is a replacement or aftermarket cylinder, either way you know it's not original to the gun anyways. Could call Ruger back and ask about it. Also ask them how it left the factory. It wouldn't surprise me if they said it was a convertible model.

Anyways, somebody way more knowledgeable than me will come along and let us know for sure. ;)

No matter how the numbers are applied to the cylinder, scribed or stamped, they should be the same as the last three if the serial number on the frame. If not it/they are not originally for that revolver.

wproct

Single-Sixer
That is a very nice single-six revolver you have there! I have owned 2 different old model single-six revolvers, both gone now :( , but now own a new model blued steel 4 5/8 inch bbl convertible. The new model is nice, but I prefer the old model like you have.

blue2golf

Bearcat
You did very well. Single Sixes of all stripes have gone up in price and down in availability. (If you are looking for a new one Ruger seems to have focused more on the Wrangler for production)

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Very nice. 2021 was a Single Six year for me. I stumbled into four used ones all at great prices.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Never a big fan of Marlins albeit they're fine rifles. I picked up a limited edition Winch '92 short rifle of 20" in .32-20. Was a piece of cake to rechamber to .32 H&R Mag/.327 Fed Mag. While rechambering it I also shortened it a bit ending with up with an 18" trapper carbine. Very handy.

Although before rechambering it, I shot .32 H&R Mags with good results. Yes the cases bulged a bit, they were easily reloaded.

A great companion carbine to my Ruger .32 Mag SSM (Single Six Magnum) shortened to 4 1/4".

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Never a big fan of Marlins albeit they're fine rifles. I picked up a limited edition Winch '92 short rifle of 20" in .32-20. Was a piece of cake to rechamber to .32 H&R Mag/.327 Fed Mag. While rechambering it I also shortened it a bit ending with up with an 18" trapper carbine. Very handy.

Although before rechambering it, I shot .32 H&R Mags with good results. Yes the cases bulged a bit, they were easily reloaded.

A great companion carbine to my Ruger .32 Mag SSM (Single Six Magnum) shortened to 4 1/4".
Many years ago I read an article that pointed out the advantages of Marlin over Winchester. The easier scope mounting ,and ability to clean from the breech made sense to me then,and still does today.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Many years ago I read an article that pointed out the advantages of Marlin over Winchester. The easier scope mounting ,and ability to clean from the breech made sense to me then,and still does today.
Yep, no doubt about the advantages of the Marlin. Just not advantages I need. I just prefer the action and looks of a Winchester.