1967 10 inch FT 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Shooter showed up on the range with a 10 inch 357 OM FT. Gun looked good. Gave him some RENE info and recommended he get a letter from Ruger. Fast forward a few weeks and he has a letter that says it shipped 1967 as a 6.5 inch gun. The serial number of the gun places in '67 too. He may have posted about it here since that was my next recommendation. If he has all is well. If he has not I'll get a fire lit under him and see if we can't get pics and specific details posted soon.

There have been several such incidences. Apparently back in the day there were a few guns returned to the factory for retrofit with a ten-inch barrel. A few have shown up on Bob's List. I'd sure like the serial number of the current example to put on The List as there presently isn't one such from 1967.

Wonder if that would still be possible today?

FWIW the last "run" of ten-inch guns was in 1961.

:mrgreen:

chet15

Hawkeye
Knowing whether it has "INC." on the barrel address or if it was also without "INC." will also tell a bunch about the gun.
If it has an "INC." on the address, it was definitely barreled by Ruger....after it left originally of course, so still an altered gun, but definitely interesting!
If it is a non-INC. barrel, it wears a 10" barrel that was taken off an old flattop and fitted to the frame.
Please let us know how it turns out!!
Chet15

Windjammer II

Bearcat
I have the Ruger BHK Flat Top 357 10 inch Buckeye originally posted about. I took some pics and will upload as soon as I figure out how to do so. While taking the pics, I could not get a clear pic of the serial number but tried multiple times. It was very difficult making out the first number. Thought the first number was "9" but sales receipt has "3". Therefore the gun is older than originally thought, earlier than 1967. It does not have "INC" on the barrel. And I will share some pics when I figure out how. Also, I will send for a letter from Ruger with the right serial number to get the accurate information about the revolver. Thanks.

Welcome, Windjammer II. You have an interesting piece there.

In Axhandle's original post, he said there was an existing "Ruger letter" associated with the gun. What happened to that?

We will be anxious to see your pictures. Nothing like a "mystery gun" for a conversation starter.

Best,
Ale-8(1)
:)

Windjammer II

Bearcat
Yes I have the letter from Ruger. Unfortunately I was incorrect about the serial number therefore making the letter incorrect. I thought the number started with a "9" but it starts with a "3". The information I told ax handle was incorrect on my part. Very hard for me to discern "9" and "3". I will send for another letter. I would expect this to be earlier than 1967. Sorry for the confusion. When I get the letter, I will share the information. Thanks.

chet15

Hawkeye
If the serial number starts with a 3 instead of a 9, sounds like it was probably originally made as a 10" BKH30
Chet15

chet15 said:
If the serial number starts with a 3 instead of a 9, sounds like it was probably originally made as a 10" BKH30 Chet15

Yep, there's a whole bunch of them in the 3XXXX range.

But there's also a whole bunch of 6-1/2" guns in that range as well.

And there are several reported with 10" barrels but letter as 6-1/2" guns.

So anything's possible here.

:mrgreen:

Windjammer II

Bearcat
Serial number is 36065. I will send for the letter and provide the information when I receive it. Thanks everyone.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Windjammer II said:
Serial number is 36065... Thanks everyone.

Thank you, sir!
-from one of the presumably many here who love to hear of a new "find."

And, I almost forgot...
Welcome, Windjammer II!

Looking forward to pictures, as well.

Bob's List shows a "short run" of 10" guns from 36057 thru 36104, shipped in the April/June period of 1961. This short run falls in the midst of long runs of 4-5/8" and 6-1/2" guns. It will be interesting to see what the letter reveals about the gun in question.

The "last run" on Bob's List is from 37033 thru 37743, almost all in April of 1961.

:shock: :mrgreen: :shock:

Windjammer II

Bearcat
One question I have. Is there a good way to determine the number of rifling spirals inside the flat-top barrel or would the letter from Ruger provide that kind of detail? From my reading, it seems most have the 6 spirals while very few have 8 spirals. Please confirm for me if true. I did try looking down the barrel with a flashlight and the cylinder out but was difficult to determine. Thanks for your help and welcoming me!

Axehandle

Buckeye
Since you shoot this gun I'd think that the easy way to count the grooves will be look at the muzzle at the end of your shooting session. Call that busy body range safety officer over and get him to count them for you! :lol: