196 series mini 14 sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgunne

Bearcat
Hello guys, I am a new member. I have shot ruger m77 rifles for a long time. As hogs moved onto our place about 10 years ago, I have been wanting a ruger ranch rifle for so long! I finally got it! I picked up a 196 series stainless synthetic with a choate flash suppressor on it. I would apreciate any info and tips anyone could give me, accuracy I can expect, ect.
I also would like advice on a good quality sight for this rifle. It will mainly be my "truck gun" and 90% of the time will be shot at pigs at night 60-100 yards or so. I would like a good quality scope or sight that offers super quick target aquisition in low light or night situations with a wide field of view. Im also not rich so would like to find something not too terrible pricey. I know thats a tall order but any help is apreciated. A salesman at cheaper than dirt recomended an EO Tech sight and I loved it but the price started at 495.00.......which is exactly what I paid for the gun! Hoping to find something a little cheaper.
Would also apreciate any tips and info on making it as accurate as possible. Ive had several ruger rifles and love them, but this is my first mini 14. Thanks

Merle1948

Buckeye
jgunne":36b5s42h said:
Hello guys, I am a new member. I have shot ruger m77 rifles for a long time. As hogs moved onto our place about 10 years ago, I have been wanting a ruger ranch rifle for so long! I finally got it! I picked up a 196 series stainless synthetic with a choate flash suppressor on it. I would apreciate any info and tips anyone could give me, accuracy I can expect, ect.
I also would like advice on a good quality sight for this rifle. It will mainly be my "truck gun" and 90% of the time will be shot at pigs at night 60-100 yards or so. I would like a good quality scope or sight that offers super quick target aquisition in low light or night situations with a wide field of view. Im also not rich so would like to find something not too terrible pricey. I know thats a tall order but any help is apreciated. A salesman at cheaper than dirt recomended an EO Tech sight and I loved it but the price started at 495.00.......which is exactly what I paid for the gun! Hoping to find something a little cheaper.
Would also apreciate any tips and info on making it as accurate as possible. Ive had several ruger rifles and love them, but this is my first mini 14. Thanks

If you are planning to shoot primarily at night and limited to 60 ~ 100 yards I would look at a red dot sight. I have a Bushnell with 4 different reticules & like it a lot. For me it works quite well out to 100 yds. You can find similar models in the $50 price range.

:) :) :)

Merle1948

Buckeye
jgunne":318xkp9n said:
That sounds good. Is it easy to get the sight picture? eye relief?

Eye relief is not a problem - it is unlimited.

Sight picture is dependent on getting the unit to the proper height for your eye, using a consistent cheek weld.

In other words, use rings that place it at the proper height, so you don't have to move your head up or down to get a full view. Personally I test the set-up by closing my eyes, shouldering the rifle, then opening my eyes. If I have a good sight picture, then I an done.

Some units are more touchy than others about precise eye alignment. I would suggest going into a shop with a variety of sights & holding them up in the approximate location you would use when shooting. Then move them around a bit to see what happens. That should make your decision a lot easier. Around here Bass Pro / Outdoor World is a good choice.

Also, the larger diameter tubes are usually more forgiving about eye placement, leading to even faster target acquisition.

One final bit of advice, I would avoid the lowest priced units, and look at those in the middle of the price range. Going cheap will not pay off in the long run.

:) :) :)

Latest posts