1958 Ruger 4.75" Flattop .357, including grip frame pic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dudleydoright

Bearcat
DOES ANYONE IF KNOW IF A BRASS GRIP FRAME IS AVAILABLE FOR ONE OF THESE?

dudleydoright":32w77054 said:
Well here's a shot of the grip frame.

Ruger4753screw101.jpg

And a couple of the original shots. I'll be working on some better one's later today I hope. Chores come first.

Ruger4753screw002.jpg

Ruger4753screw007.jpg

mike722

Buckeye
you can put an original Ruger brass frame on it (MR3 DB) or you can find an aftermarket brass frame...the original Ruger frames run about 250 bucks these days..but they will slap right on without much trouble, especially if they were already fitted to another gun..then get a set of Super Blackhawk grips, and you are all set!

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
I played around with the photos at home. The bluing on the barrel looks darker than the original bluing on the frame. The lettering on the barrel looks a bit over-buffed too. The gripframe looks like it was refinished more recently by Ruger. I'd call Ruger records with the serial number. You may have a gun that originally left the factory with a 6.5" barrel. And, I'd pull the grip frame and look on the frame under it for a stamp. The gun may have been converted and then unconverted... the hammer is awfully shiny. Based on the Lett grips (new ones with aluminum escutcheons), and the other factors, I think the gun went back to Ruger and had a gripframe refinish, new grips, and a mandatory conversion. After this, I think the barrel was replaced with a 4 5/8 incher by a gunsmith. I hope I'm wrong though.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Unconverted":2kftcik9 said:
You may have a gun that originally left the factory with a 6.5" barrel......... the gun went back to Ruger and had a gripframe refinish

That s/n is awfully low to have been originally shipped with a 6-1/2" barrel.

I've not encountered a "Factory Refinished" XR-3 grip frame in all my years of collecting. I've sent Flattops in for refinish work and they would be returned with a brand new XR3-RED grip frame.

I'm with Ale on "the grip frame's been replaced" theory....

Just My Observations.....and the Owner really needs to get shipping data on the gun.

flatgate

dudleydoright

Bearcat
The barrel and frame match way to well to be separate installs.

Can I actually call Ruger and get the as shipped info from the serial number over the phone? Awesome if I can.

Thanks.

flatgate":1ro1dzoq said:
Unconverted":1ro1dzoq said:
You may have a gun that originally left the factory with a 6.5" barrel......... the gun went back to Ruger and had a gripframe refinish

That s/n is awfully low to have been originally shipped with a 6-1/2" barrel.

I've not encountered a "Factory Refinished" XR-3 grip frame in all my years of collecting. I've sent Flattops in for refinish work and they would be returned with a brand new XR3-RED grip frame.

I'm with Ale on "the grip frame's been replaced" theory....

Just My Observations.....and the Owner really needs to get shipping data on the gun.

flatgate

Yep. Simply call (603)865-2424 and ask for the records department.

If you provide them with the serial number, they will tell you the ship date and the "shipped configuration" model number from which we can help you determine the "proper" configuration of your gun.

If you ask nicely, they will send you a FREE letter confirming the above information.

:D

dudleydoright

Bearcat
Well I did call Ruger this morning and the gun shipped out November 1958 as a BKH3 with a 4 5/8's inch barrel and Walnut grips. I also had them send me over to service where they verified that the gun was never sent back for reblueing or any other parts replacement.

I would like to thank everyone for the tremendous amount of input I have recieved on my pistol. Now I think it's time to go explode a few soda cans full of water in celebration.

You all have a nice day now.

flatgate

Hawkeye
On behalf of my compadres, you're welcome!

Hmm, I find it most interesting that the shipping info stated walnut grips. Wouldn't you Flattop Collectors agree??

flatgate

flatgate":rse5ck8g said:
On behalf of my compadres, you're welcome!

Hmm, I find it most interesting that the shipping info stated walnut grips. Wouldn't you Flattop Collectors agree??

flatgate
I received several factory letters on early 6 1/2" .357 Flattops a few years back that I was pretty sure would have been H/R grip guns. So, I called records and remember discussing with Karla and was told that there was no information regarding walnut grips on Rugers record she was looking at but that they were putting these letters out since the .44 Flattops were shipped with walnuts from 1956 on. I kindly asked for a letter without the grip designation since it did not actually have it on their record. Not sure if they are still doing this or? So, I would say a 16xxx gun from 1958 would be too early to have shipped with walnuts. JMO

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Original message content deleted. New message and photos are on the Revolvers Section.

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
dudleydoright":3l4gsqbv said:
Well here's a shot of the grip frame.

Ruger4753screw101.jpg

D,

INMHO there's a good chance this is a factory refinished grip frame that someone swapped onto your revolver. Here's a photo of mine and the finish looks similar. The grip retaining dowels are coated too. That's a dead giveaway because they shouldn't be.

Unc.

IMG_1679.jpg

dudleydoright

Bearcat
Thanks again everyone for all your valued input.

Could someone please post a picture or three of what a factory original "Big G" Alcoa frame should look like factory fitted? They all look the same to me so far with no supporting documentation? I only say this because supporting documentation seems to be called for in previous entries.

Excellent pictures BTW.