1958 357 "FlatTop"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shyoldman

Bearcat
Saw a Blackhawk,357, 4 5/8 Flattop, s/r 16624 today in a local pawn. This had been Chromed. I thought it was a shame for someone to defaced that great old gun that way. They still were asking $779 for it. Way to much, right?

Dale53

Blackhawk
If it is "Industrial Hard Chrome," it was a perfectly valid thing to do for a field revolver. There were no stainless revolvers "back in the day". The fact that collectors are turned off doesn't mean it was a bad idea. Just depends on your point of view.

I'm primarily a shooter and I CAN see the validity of Metalifing a "rust prone" revolver used in the field.

FWIW
Dale53

Enigma

Hunter
Dale53":yn6kixf6 said:
If it is "Industrial Hard Chrome," it was a perfectly valid thing to do for a field revolver. There were no stainless revolvers "back in the day". The fact that collectors are turned off doesn't mean it was a bad idea. Just depends on your point of view.

I'm primarily a shooter and I CAN see the validity of Metalifing a "rust prone" revolver used in the field.

FWIW
Dale53

+1. I'm planning to Metalife my very well used 4-5/8" Super once I return to the States. It needs to be refinished (again), and this is the nost durable thing I can think of. Will some collector be cursing me years from now? I dunno.