1958 .357 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevem

Single-Sixer
I bought this Blackhawk from an online auction house a month or so ago. I finally picked it up today. It's all original and easy the nicest flattop I've personally seen. It didn't come with any box or papers. Aside from a few spots on the left side of the hammer and some very light bluing loss on the bolt notches, the original finish looks amazing......

I've always been into custom sixguns, not collecting so much. This one is way to nice to customize.

I know things can get expensive quickly!!!....but what would be a ballpark price for a box and necessary paperwork go for?

Thanks for any help,.....I'm new to collecting😀
20240604_114303.jpg
20240604_114334.jpg

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Can't help with a value, because that seems to vary depending on location. But, original unconverted OM Flattop's in that condition are becoming increasingly scarce. And, that one is DEFINITELY too nice to customize! Still a fair amount of used but not abused copies out there for customization purposes however.

contender

Ruger Guru
NICE Flattop! Please don't customize it.

Be a bit prepared for sticker shock on boxes & such.
Up until about serial number 33899 (with a few exceptions,) the box that gun was shipped in was a 2-piece, telescoping type,, WITHOUT any model info on the end. Known as an "uncatalogued" box. RENE price guide lists them in minty condition at $475.
And the early brown cardboard shipper use up until serial number 17422 was the type that was split up the middle,, and sealed with a wide piece of fiber tape. Those are super scarce to find. AND expensive.
The manual, the warranty card, the wax paper & such can all be found for under $100.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Very nice pick up! I own a similar .357 Mag 6 1/2" blued Blackhawk (not a flattop), and I bought mine new in 1965, so I have attach a pick of it. I use to quick draw with it, so the blue is missing a nit at the inside tip of the barrel due to the quick drawing!

As for getting a box, I bought a used .45 Convertible LC Ruger (5 1.2" barrel) which came with nothing as in your case. I ordered a Ruger 'case' for it, but it was the plastic generic one. But the case that came with my original 1965 Blackhawk was completely different, and was cardboard, with the gun identified. I no longer have that original gun case after all of these years. I keep it holstered in my quick draw Western style gun belt, in an old boxy vanity from that era as well.

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 13

chet15

Hawkeye
The box and Instruction manual you are looking for will look like this. Along with a 3 cent warranty card. The shipping sleeve will be the hardest part of your quest. Contender hit it about right for the pricing...
View attachment 47489
View attachment 47490

Hey Gary... a few months ago I saw a transition BKH-34 serial number 43089 (exactly 400 guns after the last .357 flattop) that has a box without catalog numbers, matched to the gun. So the box was used throughout flattop production.
Now to find a few more transition Blackhawks in the 43xxx to 46xxx range with matching numbered boxes to see when the BKH-34 marked box really begins.
Chet15

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I bought this Blackhawk from an online auction house a month or so ago. I finally picked it up today. It's all original and easy the nicest flattop I've personally seen. It didn't come with any box or papers. Aside from a few spots on the left side of the hammer and some very light bluing loss on the bolt notches, the original finish looks amazing......

I've always been into custom sixguns, not collecting so much. This one is way to nice to customize.

I know things can get expensive quickly!!!....but what would be a ballpark price for a box and necessary paperwork go for?

Thanks for any help,.....I'm new to collecting
I'm not sure that I can help much with info, except I saw your 1958 Blackhawk, and that's what I recently lucked into at my local shop, that gun got me back into visiting Ruger Forum. Mine's not the jewel yours is, but I wasted very little time in snagging it just the same! 1958 Flattop # 17253 checking in!
thumlkjbnail.jpg

Hey Gary... a few months ago I saw a transition BKH-34 serial number 43089 (exactly 400 guns after the last .357 flattop) that has a box without catalog numbers, matched to the gun. So the box was used throughout flattop production.
Now to find a few more transition Blackhawks in the 43xxx to 46xxx range with matching numbered boxes to see when the BKH-34 marked box really begins.
Chet15
Chad
I believe that to be true about the non catalog boxes being used for the entire run of the short barrel .357 Flattops. It only makes sense they used them up on the first transition guns... Only thing might be a really late shipped Flattop could have been shipped in a Catalog box. I'll look through some of my old notes to see if I have any transition guns noted with their boxes...

Nice looking Flattop! Wish that I could find a long barrel one (6.5")

jyo

Single-Sixer
Many years ago, I picked-up a 4 3/4" Old Model Flattop in right about 99%---never in a holster---not converted---no box, but has owners manual---been shot, but very little and I've shot it a couple of times, but mostly a safe queen...