1957 Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dirty

Bearcat
Can anyone give me a little more info on this gun? Based on the serial number I know it is a 1957 model and that is about it. It is my fathers and he has owned it for about 30yrs. I do not know much about Single Six's but I haven't seen many with the aluminum trigger guard and grip frame. What is it worth? Is it a certain model? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SingleSix.jpg

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
What's it worth? I can give you a ballpark. I just paid $250.00 for a 1958 one that had been converted to a transfer bar system. Mine might have a little more blue wear. They were asking $275.00.

If your's is original, it would probably be worth more.

contender

Ruger Guru
For the record,, the gun in question has had the grip frame stripped & polished. That reduces the value to collectors immediately. Now,, to give a lot more info,, the serial number would be needed,, or as I mentioned in the other post,, a call to Ruger records can help you a bunch.
They will give you the correct model info & when it was shipped. The correct model info is what helps a lot!

would help to know the "exact" type ( variation) of your gun, as said above, the polishing of the alloy gripframe detracts from the value, but if all the parts are "original" to this gun, it still has its own inherent value.
This past weekend we sold a type 2 flatgate ( 1957) in 95% condition for $425 at the OGCA for a fellow collector..........................

G2

Hunter
A SN# will give one a idea of what it should be for features.

It has had the GF Polished and it looks like a Premier Loading Gate installed.

ALL in all ... a nice old Single Six that doesn't appear to be converted, it's still sporting a nice skinny curved trigger. It looks well used, Nothing wrong with that just give it a little care and it will last the rest of your lifetime and then you can hand it down.

I fixed your photo up a bit to see if it was sporting a flatgate.
SingleSix.jpg

americal

Hunter
I really like your gun :) not collector condition-- unless something special about serial # might make it worth a little more--- I do like guns in that condition 8) esp. with the premier loading gate :) the single six--22 is just my favorite Rugers. I have a few shooters that I have polished the grip frame also just for looks.Sure fun to shoot :!:

dirty

Bearcat
Thanks for the kinds replies guys. If anyone is interested the serial number is 78626. I am going to try and call Ruger tomorrow and see what I can find out. Does this serial # sound like anything special?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ah, an early "Roundgate" with the steel ejector housing and skinny trigger.

The "silver" grip frame detracts from the collector appeal, unless said silver grip frame is attached to one of the Jerred Engraved Single-Sixes.... :D

217501193.jpg

Mine's in "original" configuration, but the worn spots on the ejector housing and cylinder detract from the value.

flatgate

dirty

Bearcat
G2":2f29x7ho said:
A SN# will give one a idea of what it should be for features.

It has had the GF Polished and it looks like a Premier Loading Gate installed.

ALL in all ... a nice old Single Six that doesn't appear to be converted, it's still sporting a nice skinny curved trigger. It looks well used, Nothing wrong with that just give it a little care and it will last the rest of your lifetime and then you can hand it down.

I fixed your photo up a bit to see if it was sporting a flatgate.
SingleSix.jpg

What is the "Premier Loading Gate"? Also what is the Flatgate Model? Sorry for the ignorance, I am not up to much on these older revolvers.

flatgate

Hawkeye
357816416.jpg

Ruger's early Single-Six loading gates were "flat". The above image shows the Ruger design, the Premier style and the March of '57 introduced "round" Ruger loading gate.

flatgate

If it matters, Dougan says the flatgates ended at 61000, and RENE agrees with that time frame. So there's the possibility that's an original Ruger roundgate, although closer inspection would be required.

A call to Ruger is definitely in order, but they will not be able to positively confirm the loading gate one way or another . . . unless you discover the gun shipped much later than the serial number would appear to indicate which would make a flatgate essentially impossible.

Let us know what you learn.

:mrgreen:

dirty

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)":2ebwlxow said:
If it matters, Dougan says the flatgates ended at 61000, and RENE agrees with that time frame. So there's the possibility that's an original Ruger roundgate, although closer inspection would be required.

A call to Ruger is definitely in order, but they will not be able to positively confirm the loading gate one way or another . . . unless you discover the gun shipped much later than the serial number would appear to indicate which would make a flatgate essentially impossible.

Let us know what you learn.

:mrgreen:

I just compared your picture to the gun and it is definately the round gate.

G2

Hunter
The first style of loading gate was called a flatgate, just aflat piece w/ a little fingernail slot.
P1010017-1.jpg

I guess it probably saved a few pennies.
A Premier loading gate was a aftermarket round loading gate made as an accessory to change out the flat loading gate. After a while Ruger did away w/ the flatgate and went with the roundgate as standard. Sort of...

Because the premier loading gate "wraped around a little farther and I think looks a little better.

Standard Loading Gate, Front to Rear .475

Premier Loading Gate, Front to Rear .575 ~ .590

Premier Loading Gates even showed up on a few Rugers finest engraved guns.

Your sn# tells us you probably have a standard loading gate. IMO you still have one of the nicest shooting .22 handguns ever made, now go try and wear it out. :roll: :D :D

G2

Hunter
Ohhh my my there were some good post's going on at the same time. :D :D :D

Well lookee there at the education you got . . . For FREE

dirty

Bearcat
G2":346ddr7p said:
The first style of loading gate was called a flatgate, just aflat piece w/ a little fingernail slot.

I guess it probably saved a few pennies.
A Premier loading gate was a aftermarket round loading gate made as an accessory to change out the flat loading gate. After a while Ruger did away w/ the flatgate and went with the roundgate as standard. Sort of...

Because the premier loading gate "wraped around a little farther and I think looks a little better.

Standard Loading Gate, Front to Rear .475

Premier Loading Gate, Front to Rear .575 ~ .590

Premier Loading Gates even showed up on a few Rugers finest engraved guns.

Your sn# tells us you probably have a standard loading gate. IMO you still have one of the nicest shooting .22 handguns ever made, now go try and wear it out. :roll: :D :D

What does it mean "to have it converted". Like I said my dad has had it for over 30 years and he has never sent it in for anything. I read on one forum where a guy said not to load it with more than 5 rounds if it has not had the conversion. Is there some type of safety problem? Again thanks for all of the replies. I am into newer guns and archery, but I am starting to get into some of these older guns. I just told my dad the other day I am going to look for and buy my own Single Six. It is a very cool gun.

dirty

Bearcat
G2":34t7zzlm said:
Ohhh my my there were some good post's going on at the same time. :D :D :D

Well lookee there at the education you got . . . For FREE

I know this is GREAT! I run a lot on the archery forums but I am usually one of the ones answering a lot of the questions. Messing around with this old Six of my dads has really gotten me interested in these. Oh no another hobbie, my wife is going to be so happy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cock the hammer of your gun and see if there's a little "flag" in there between the hammer and the firing pin, that moves when the trigger does. Its purpose is to transfer the hammer's blow to the firing pin when the trigger is pulled, but not if the trigger isn't pulled.

Your gun may or may not have this feature.

After you determine this, we can more easily discuss the "conversion" scenario.

;)

dirty

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)":3he166fq said:
Cock the hammer of your gun and see if there's a little "flag" in there between the hammer and the firing pin, that moves when the trigger does. Its purpose is to transfer the hammer's blow to the firing pin when the trigger is pulled, but not if the trigger isn't pulled.

Your gun may or may not have this feature.

After you determine this, we can more easily discuss the "conversion" scenario.

;)

I just checked and there is nothing between the hammer and the firing pin when I have the hammer cocked back.

OK, you have the original action. Hammer directly hits firing pin. This can be bad if unexpected, like if something hits the hammer while the gun's in the holster or if you drop the gun on the hammer, etc.

Ruger recognized this shortcoming and designed a "transfer bar" mechanism to keep the hammer off the firing pin. They have designed a "retrofit" version of it that can be installed in the Old Model guns, and they'll do it for free. It does not change the structure of the gun, and the old original parts can be reinstalled if desired. You send the gun to them, they "convert" it and return it to you, theoretically along with your original Old Model internals.

Some folks like this, some don't. The New Model single-actions have this mechanism as the original configuration from the factory. I'll find you a link on Ruger's site that discusses it.

http://www.ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

Check it out and ask more questions.

;)