1955 colt cobra

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckhorn150

Bearcat
I just acquired a colt cobra 2" 38spl. revolver.Was wondering if anyone has knowledge they would like to share? I know it's alloy frame made in 1955. Bluing is rough, but once I held the gun I had to have it. Sorry it's not a ruger question but I'm asking anyway.thanks

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
DO NOT SHOOT IT with any higher pressure 38SPL loads, +P or +P+, as I have seen one Cobra with the alloy frame stretched so badly you could clean the B/C gap with your little finger. The frame was so soft I sliced pieces off it with my pocketknife like it was balsa wood. I am NOT kidding you one bit. Standard pressure loads ONLY.
And so it goes...

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I had a Colt stainless detective special that was so soft the frame bent from just shooting wad cutters with a target load. After a couple hundred rounds the frame had sprung enough that the barrel was pointing to the right enough to cause it to print bullets 1 foot to the right at 25 ft. Looking down on it from the top,you could see that the barrel was no longer inline with the centerline of the gun.I traded it to a friend with full disclosier (sp?) I don`t know what happened to it after that. He probably dumped it at a gun show.

TRanger

Blackhawk
PriseDeFer said:
Buck, forgive the horror stories. You got a cool gun, shoot it and carry it.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm not sure where some of the posters got their Colts, but I have owned a half dozen Cobras and Agents and haven't spared them. They have performed just fine. Colt used to recommend a trip to dry dock every 1000 rounds for them, but mine haven't needed it. On a couple of occasions, I have placed "high gun" on qualification day with a two-inch Cobra. If you're concerned about wear and tear, select a standard pressure semi- wadcutter or wadcutter load. You'll be fine.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
My detective special was a smooth working and pretty gun and accurate until it started to bend. I often wondered if it was one that missed the heat treating process. Every company I know of has an issue from time to time. No reflection on the Colt Co.
Thinking back,I should have sent it to Colt for adjustment (replacement). That was 40 years ago.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Chuck, with all due respect, there was no stainless Detective Special 40 years ago. Perhaps the gun was nickel?

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I had one a few years back, the finish was awful but the action smooth and crisp and it had a nice bore. Again, don't shoot anything +P out of it and you should be just fine.

Bluto

Bearcat
The Colt Cobras and Agents have lightweight frames that are anodized, an external hardening finish. Once that finish is worn away you probably could gouge it with a knife. I've seen some Cobras with so much finish overall gone they do look like dull stainless. They make fine carry guns affording an extra 6th shot over most competitors 5. The Cobras and Agents and K,J frame Smiths tend to crack the frame at the 6 oclock barrel point if you shoot them with heavy loads. Something to look for if you contemplate buying one. Supposedly the post '66 short butt D frame Colts like the Cobra are safer to shoot heavy loads. The only one I've got left is a '69 DS. Colt won't refinish alloy guns anymore and parts are tough to find. If your Cobra locks up properly don't use it as a regular range gun, just load it up and stick it in your pocket.