1955 .357 MAGAZINE ARTICLES

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tommygun

Single-Sixer
I have the two ads from the August and September American Rifleman. I would like get any magazine articles or reviews of the .357 Flattop when it was introduced. Can you help me?

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Hey Tom. Look for the "Western Sportsman" magazine. The December, 1955 issue contains the review by Don Martin, firearms editor, of the "New" Ruger .357 Magnum. His review was used by the factory in the 1955 catalog! I had a copy of said magazine in my display at OGCA. I also displayed the gun shipped to him and used in his review.
Brass Frame/Lee E

Tom

I'm sure there will be some excellent information in Don's new book when it is released. Perhaps a quick email to him can confirm. I've been down this road some years back when I was chasing all the s/n blocks in 4 5/8 barrel lengths. I might have some interesting items in my archives on the .357 Flattops. I purchased all of C. Brown's collection many years ago including some rare factory photo stills of #7 flattop and other items. Was hoping to get to sorting all this stuff but have not cataloged it as of yet. Best of luck to you in your continuing search. I envy what your doing and enjoy the photos of all the BKH3's. Gary

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Hey Gary. I would be interested in seeing some of those photos of .357 Flat Top # 7, since it currently rests in my vault
I do have a picture of Harry "Oliver" Knode who first owned # 7. Thanks, Brass Frame/ Lee E

chet15

Hawkeye
I've got a bunch of old 1955/1956 era .357 Blackhawk articles, but will take time to dig out. Once I get done with a couple projects I can get a listing together for you.
Chet15

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Hey Tom, Have you tried some of the American Rifleman, 1955 thru. 1957 both Dope Bag and factory ads? There is a factory cutaway photo floating around in one of the old magazines too. I had a lot of this stuff on my display at OGCA.
Brass Frame/Lee

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
A dozen or more years ago, the NRA sent a list of all American Rifleman articles that mention Rugers to a friend of mine.

A quick look shows the .357 Blackhawk was reviewed in the December, 1955 issue on page 23. The list also notes something in the March, 1957 issue on page 26.

Have a NRA Reprint book on Rugers that has a Introduction article by M.D. Waite. It is on the Flattop Blackhawk. Also a Dope Bag story on the .44 Mag Blackhawk Flattop.

Latest posts