1938 Model 70...bought it, need help.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was in my local pawn shop and asked the guys if they had any new guns coming out this week. They let me see a couple and one was a 5 digit serial number Winchester Model 70. Serial number puts it at 1937ish. It appears to have been originally chambered in 300 H&H, but is roll marked "300 Magnum", which I imagine means the same. I happened to have a 375 H&H round in my pocket (really I did) and the bolt face and case rim matched perfectly. With the bolt removed, the magazine accepted the 375 cartridge indicating to me that it was indeed a 300 H&H originally.

This rifle is not original. First off it has a total custom stock with high cheek rest and squared of fore end with an oversized flared knob on the pistol grip. Kinda flashy, but over done. Also the barrel has been cut and crowned to about 20". It also has a very old Leupold scope mounted on it. I would guess condition to be about 60%.

I think it can be had for about $500, but not sure. Any wild @$$ guesses as to value??

Just curious...........thanks! :D

cubrock

Blackhawk
$500 is the value of the action, so you can't get hurt at that price.

Heliman,
Alot of the 300 H&H rifles either Winchester or Remington were snatched up by hunters for around $75 & rechambered mostly to the 300 Weatherby because the Weatherby's was the new gun & chambering to have for big game out west. A local old gunsmith told me he was doing it for $30 to $45 back in the 60's & Weatherby's were selling for $250. He told me there was alot of 300 magnums done also.
J/S

Well, after looking at it for a few months, I decided to buy it. Now, I need help identifying the different components.......

Original chambering was "300 Magnum", assume 300 H&H, but could have been rechambered.

Serial number is 18802. DOM should be 1938.

Barrel length is 20", which is the "carbine" length. NO front siight. Could have been machined off or barrel cut from a standard length.

Stock is definitely not factory. The wood is nicely figured, but kind of overdone IMO. I think it is a 1950's custom.

The scope is a Leupold Mountaineer 4X. Serial number 13645. I have no idea about the rings/bases. The scope has a turret for adjusting elevation, but not windage. This is adjusted at the base with a windage screw. Very fragile looking. The rings are retained by one allen head screw and are "hinged" on the opposite side.

Any help or leads for additional information would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure what I will do with it. Parting out the components comes to mind, but also a custom build using the action is an option also.....

Thanks in advance for any help..... Dave :D

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
Dave, the scope mount & rings is Leupold's Adjusto-mount with elevation & windage in the base itself. This would be the period correct arrangement for the early fixed reticle scopes such as Leupold Pioneer, Stith/Kollmorgen Master or early Bausch & Lomb Balvar. It is commonly seen with the pre-1955 Leupold Mountaineer 4x/elevation only scope, but really isn't neccessary since you could use a Redfield style, windage adjust base with this scope.

Thanks for the info. I have decided to part out the action/barrel, stock, and scope/mounts. It really is a pretty cool retro assembly, that could be made sorta pretty, but I don't have time for it. Thanks again!

Dave