1911-1911A1 Changes You Made

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Of the members here who own or have owned a "basic" 1911; be it a Colt, Springfield, Auto-Ordnance, Fed-Ord, or others:
Did you replace parts for a specific improvement objective?
Oh yeah - we're limiting this thread to mods you made/installed, NOT a mod you paid a 'smith to do.

NOW in order to be CLEAR - I left out Kimber and some other more recent makers (Ruger included) which have several improved parts already installed, because... I'm asking only about 1911 and 1911A1 configured pistols.

I'm going to recognize sights as a common "improvement", only because few over the age of 30 can even see the original Browning front pimple sight.

So which modifications did you make?

:?: :?: :?:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Basic 1911? You mean like this? While Colt produced a limited run of WW1 reproductions a while back...as far as I know...nobody else has done it.

Aside from that, all modern 1911s are 1911A1 variants.

By the way, that's a minty mid-1945 production Remington Rand in the background.

Colt.jpg

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
The changes made to the original 1911 to the "1911 Improved" came about over the course of nearly three years, starting in January 1923 and being completed in late 1925.

The changes were:

Longer grip safety tang to address hammer bite.

Scalloped cuts behind the trigger guard.

Rear sight notch/front sight width.

Front sight tenon went from round to rectangular.

Slidestop.

Long trigger to short trigger.

Shorter hammer spur.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
I think we can use the 1925 modifications as a starting point in the 21st century, don't you?

I would assume so, but your thread title was a little misleading in that it indicated 1911 *TO* 1911A1 changes. I was unsure if you meant basic changes from 1911-1911A1 or the addition of modern accoutrements to the basic 1911A1. Owing to the fact that few manufacturers actually produce a *basic* 1911A1 any more and so many of them come already modified with things like Hi-Viz sights, beavertail/ducktail grip safeties, etc, there's little left to modify. Just go shopping until you find one that meets your needs.

DGW1949

Hunter
The only modifications that I perform on an as-issued 1911-A1 is the substitution of a wide spur hammer, a flat main-spring housing and a tighter-fitted barrel bushing. But that is only done for a daily-carry weapon. My thought there is that I can use an out of the box 1911-A1 or Government Model quite-well just as they sit, so there really aint much "improvement" needed.

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
My thought there is that I can use an out of the box 1911-A1 or Government Model quite-well just as they sit, so there really aint much "improvement" needed.

DGW

Couldn't have said it any better myself !

REV

Wrap-around Signatures . . . no matching mainspring housing.

Same thing on my old Hi-Power, but with the back-strap piece as well.

They just work well for me.

Have the "proper" pieces for show-and-tell.

;)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sacrilege ..... defacing an innocent 1911 like that .... :D

Almost as bad as scratching flowers and frilly girlie doodling onto it.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Hey, rev . . . bite my . . . wallet.

All in good fun, of course.

;)

Just tryin to get some LIFE around here .... It's been dead .... I figure if I can tick somebody off enough we might get a good thread goin' .... :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
revhigh said:
Ale-8(1) said:
And we all know that moderators are supposed to stir the pot . . .

:roll:

What's a moderator ? :D

REV

Cute.

You're on the "Mod Squad" list, there, fella. It's public. We know about ya.

:mrgreen:

Hmmmmm..... Mod Squad .... I kinda like the sound of that ..... Can I be the black guy with the fro ? I always liked Linc .... He was a cool cat.

REV

I kinda figured you for a 'fro anyway . . .

;)

And while we're at it, I want to apologize for my contribution to the hijacking of this thread. Usually my manners are better than this. Guess I've been misled by a bad influence.

;)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
I kinda figured you for a 'fro anyway . . .

;)

And while we're at it, I want to apologize for my contribution to the hijacking of this thread. Usually my manners are better than this. Guess I've been misled by a bad influence.

;)

Yeah, Ale ... What's up with these hijacking antics ? :D

As a moderator .... I'm thinking of having you banned ....

Don't let it happen again.

REV

Latest posts