180 cast question.(30-30)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
I have a 180 grain LRN-GC Lee mold that throw excellent bullets'.. I need to know if anyone else loads this in their 30-30; and if so what are your favorite loads. I have a good supply of Unique if that matters. Thank!!!!!!!!!!!

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
The .303 Savage (virtually identical to the .30-30) used a 190-grain jacketed bullet just fine. I once loaded a 173-grain cast bullet in a .30 WCF using Unique, it shot very well. What will you use the load for? Do you want plinking or hunting loads?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mexicanjoe said:
I have a 180 grain LRN-GC Lee mold that throw excellent bullets'.. I need to know if anyone else loads this in their 30-30; and if so what are your favorite loads. I have a good supply of Unique if that matters. Thank!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I have Lee molds for 150 gr, 170 gr and 180 gr bullets. Once upon a time a Win 94 lived here. It shot both 150s and 170s well, over a load of Unique from the Lyman Cast Bullet book. It found a new home and a Marlin 336 came to visit for a while. It shot the 150s well, but those 170s seemed to be just a bit long for the chamber, as they'd stick. I've loaded the 180s in the 'O6 over Unique (Lyman again) and they worked really well. All three were gas checked but I've read a lot of guns will shoot them well without the gas checks.

These were all plinkers, reasonably good to about 100 yds.

Rick C