.17 HMR varmint/target rifle?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OmegaMan

Bearcat
Hello Everyone,

I've recently been attracted to the .17 HMR round for greater distance and destructive force on varmints and other unwanted critters, but am thinking it would also be nice to have one for shooting cheap at the 100+ yard lanes at the range.

My question is this, and if is strays away from the Ruger brand, so be it. Does ruger make a 10/22 (semi-auto) variant that fires the .17 HMR cartridge, or do I have to go Magnum Research, Volquartsen, or some other brand to get it? Or, is it as easy as swiching out the barrels on a 10/22?

I'd love to be able to just buy a Ruger Talo USA (stars & stripes) then switch out the barrel with a S.S. flutted and comped Volquartsen barrel, trigger group, and add a DNZ mount and Nikon scope. However, being that I'm not a gunsmith I have no idea if this is even possible to create, etc.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Regards,

OmegaMan

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
These were made and sold for a brief period (2004 - 2005) but they were discontinued. Honestly, I don't know if any of the 10/17s were actually sold or if the ones you see now and then are all 10/22 mags that were converted to 17hmr.

Here is a press release:
http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/art ... y/750.html

here is a manual:
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =147689140

I recall seeing discussions that the 22wmr and 17hmr 10/22 may have been tough on the receiver but I never really looked too seriously at the issue as at the time I was not that interested in the 17hmr or 22wmr 10/22 and here in PA we can't hunt with a semiauto anyways.

I really want to get a 77/17 VMBBZ myself when I stop buying all these crazy Ruger Revolvers!

wbw2

Single-Sixer
I had a 77/22 magnum that I converted to .17hmr with a volq barrel, but to be honest, my CZ 452fs in .17hmr shoots rings around the converted gun. In fact it shot so good, I sold the 77/22.

I have a Volquarsen 17 HMR Lightweight with the Hogue stock. It is very accurate and dependable. The only time it has had a FTF was when I tried a "Shooter's Ridge" Hi-cap magazine. I could not get that mag to work so I returned it.
My brother and I both bought a Ruger 77/17 and they shoot great. I sold mine to get the Volquartsen, but he still shoots his.
We just picked up a pair of the 17 Single Six Hunters with one cylinder to go along with our rifles.

OmegaMan

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the input and links guys. After reviewing the other discussions and warnings on the 10/22 conversions, I think I've decided to just stick with the Ruger 10/22's for now. However, I did see one bolt action I liked, it was the Savage Talo X-17; what a looker!!!

I'm seeing that the prices of the ammo for .17 HMR isn't exactly cheap either.

As I was looking around, I saw that Taurus makes a "Tracker" model in .17HMR. Wow!! That was one heck of a revolver. I'd love to see a Ruger Mark III variant as well, although I think I saw a conversion kit somewhere for it.

Regards,

OmegaMan

Hauss

Bearcat
I think that you might have 17hmr and 17 mach II a little mixed up. It's possible, to convert a 10/22 WMR in 17 HMR, by switching the barrel and springs, charging handle, etc. You can convert a 10/22 LR into 17 Mach II, by following the steps above. Volquartsen did make a conversion kit for the Ruger MK II pistols that would change it over to 17 mach II, but never for the 17 HMR. Not trying to be a smart @ss, just trying to help. Check out www.rimfirecentral.com for a ton of more info.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
When you talk price, I'll stack my Marlin 917V $ for $ against most anything. I paid $180 at WalMart (I think it's up to $230 now?) and I got a 4-12x AO Bushnell scope for $69. I replaced the trigger spring with one from a Papermate pen. This setup, $250 total new, will shoot 3/4" 5-shot groups from the bench at 100 meters all day.

Check the prices and see how much it will cost you to decrease your groups from 3/4" to 1/2" I figure most likely $500. That $1 for every 0.0005 inch improvement.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
If you can go along with a non-Ruger, I would tell you to seriously consider the Savage 9317 bolt action. I picked one up super cheap, slapped a cheap Chinese scope on it, and it SHOOTS! It has a bull barrel, and a laminated stock, (so it is HEAVY), but does not have the 'accu-trigger'. Now that I am getting interested in better accuracy, if I had it to do again, I would get that feature. But this is a sweet, CHEAP little gun. For the money, I think it is hard to beat. (And I am DEFINITELY a Ruger fan!)