17 HMR Hunter problems***IT WAS AMMO-NOT GUN***

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I took my 17 Hunter out Sunday, just to shoot a few rounds to see how accurate I could shoot with the open sights. Decent accuracy with shooting stix considering my eyes.
However, after the first 6 rounds I loaded up six more and the cylinder locked up on the last round. After some effort, I was able to remove the cylinder. I noticed about half of the brass cases were split at the neck. I tried six more and same outcome. This time I couldn't even remove the cylinder. The bullet was past the cylinder and protruding into the barrel. I tried to holding the trigger down and letting the hammer strike the pin to fire it with no luck. I took it home and had to stick a rod into the barrel and push the bullet back in. Not a fun procedure with a potentially live round. I was able to push it in to get the cylinder out.
I cleaned it up and went out again yesterday. I took an unopened box of ammo this time. Again, six rounds without incident, and no split cases, then the next six the cylinder locked up again.
This time after I finally removed the cylinder by again using a rod to push the bullet back, I marked the cylinder. I can't figure how the cylinder is turning to that chamber, and then the bullet is going forward into the barrel. I have been using this ammo in my Volquartsen w/o any problems.
I think I will try once more to see if it happes again with the same chamber. Any ideas???
I will be sending it back to Ruger for inspection regardless.

By the way, on the second outing, I was picking off hedge balls from 25 to 45 yards easily.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have not had this issue with my 17HMR Hunter and while I have not shot it a whole lot (couple hundred rounds I would guess) I assume I would have seen this.

What ammo are you using? I have been using Hornady ammo and I have to look at a box to post specifics. I know Ruger had issues with the 17 Mach II and split necks but this is the first time I have heard of the issue with the 17 HMR in the single six or anything else for that matter.

I am curious also about how you daid you have split brass with a bullet getting pushed out. This is an unfired round that is split and locking up the gun or is this a fired round?

Dumb question, but you are sure you have a 17HMR cylinder and not a 22wmr, right? I assume, but stranger things can happen...

Qb,
I am using Hornady 17 HMR w/ 17 grain tipped bullets. I have used them in two 77/17's and my semi auto Volquartsen, so I am not suspect of the ammo. The split case in the unfired round could be from my ramming the bullet back into the case? Also some of the fired cases on the first day were split, about half of them.

The cylinder is marked 17HMR on both sides. I don't have any 22 mag ammo, and of course a 22LR will fit in the cylinder from the back. I tried to see if a 22 would fit from the front and it wont, so it must indeed be a 17HMR case. I wonder if the chambers are over sized, causing the splits.

I also think I will try to shoot it, at least that particular chamber, w/o ear protection. Maybe the primer is going off, but not the powder and pushing the bullet up?

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
I just bought 1 last Friday and have not had a chance to shoot it yet and won't for some time now. But let me say this, this is by far the poorest Ruger for craftsmanship that I have ever bought. Period. The grips don't even come close to fitting. The grip frame has rough edges along the backstrap, and the front sight protrudes about 1/32" past the end of the barrel. All 5 grip screws looked like they were put in with the wrong size screwdriver (all slots are messed up from the factory). So the reason for my reply is I wonder if Ruger put out an entire batch of these that are going to have problems in one way or another?
No, I really didn't have the opportunity to closely look over this gun before I purchased it due to the situation at the time. I will pay much closer attention and have second thoughts the next time.
:(

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I have two of these guns. One a shooter, the other not shot yet. I have less than a hundred rounds thru my shooter and have not had any problems. The quality on mine look good, just like my other single sixes.

After talking with customer service at Ruger, I bought a new box of ammo, (different brand and bullet), and all is well with the gun. I fired some of the older ammo in my Volquartsen and got a squib load. I have sent my old ammo back to the manufacturer as they have requested.
My brother and I had fun shooting our Hunter's this morning, except for 5 degree temp outside.

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
I had a box of Hornandy like that. Blew the extractor band off my Anschutz... It was an older box and I've not had any problems with the new stuff...

Randy