17 HMR ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I can find all the 17 HMR ammo I want to buy for $13.99 for a 50 round box, but at the same time I see little or no 22 magnum ammo. I only went to 2 stores in my town, but they both had a surplus of 17 HMR, but no 22 magnum ammo. I usually buy 22 magnum ammo when I find it. Is this true in other places too? Both cartridges fill just about the same niche, so it might pay to have a rifle in each caliber if a speedy rimfire is what you need.

djw54

Single-Sixer
AkRay":25jqeh6n said:
I can find all the 17 HMR ammo I want ... but at the same time I see little or no 22 magnum ammo... Is this true in other places too?...

17HMR and 22mag have both been consistently available at most stores here (including gun shops, other sporting goods stores, and WM). Bulk 22LR, on the other hand...

Don

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I buy online and lately have been buying 500 round bricks of
soft nose and hollow point Fiocchi .22 magnum for $69 plus $10 shipping.
About half the price of the 17HMR and the reason I sold my 17.

It's good target ammo, and ok for small vermin. If I want to get really good faster ammo I can get get 30 grainers for $13 at cabelas, midway, wherever.

The Point is with the .22 mag I have a choice, I can shoot cheap for target practice, or I can buy the $13 for 50 higher priced stuff.
With the 17 there is no choice to shoot cheaper if just paper punching which is what most people use them for anyway.