150 Security Six is different from the 151+ how?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scotsman1886

Bearcat
I know there are diffrences in the 150 prefix and the 151+ prefix Security Six revolvers. But what are they?

I have a 150 prefix with a 2 3/4" bbl, fixed sights and chambered in 38 special. I know its unique and the grips are in good shape.

the difference is in the grip frame. On the 150 (and very early 151) prefix guns the rear grip frame is straighter and lower at the upper end while the 151 up prefix guns have a more normal double action rear grip frame with a straight vertical section at the upper rear.

Scotsman1886
If you look at your photos in this earlier post you made you can easily see the difference in the rear of the grip frame. Ig you take the grips off of each it will be even more obvious.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68974

Terry T

Buckeye
You will also notice that more of the base of the hammer is exposed on the earlier, 150 series gun, hence the term "Low Back".

The 151 series guns have a more pronounced curve where the web of the hand would sit, higher up on the grip, and have less of the base of the hammer exposed, hence the term 'High Back".

Your own photos are good examples of the exposed / not exposed hammer base. And, although your Service Six is wearing target grips, the more pronounced inward curve at the top of the grip is evident.

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
"Scottsman",
There is a difference between 'looking' and 'seeing'. The next time you look at an early Ruger Double Action you will see the difference.

I took me months to see what folks were talking about when they said 'high back' vis 'low back'. The curve at the back of the grip was more apparent to me.

As the saying goes, "A cobbler walks down the street and sees shoes". :D

As far as I know, there are no other differences. (Of course the wooden grip panels had to be changed too.)

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
"Mohavesam",

RENE says about ser. no. 158-14100. Ser. no. 158-31335 is the highest known without the scallop.

I've also noticed that the fixed sight scalloped frame has a thicker top strap as well, making the fixed sight deeper and more pronounced and, perhaps, making the frame a bit stronger.

Terry T

Uptonogood

Bearcat
Quick Question- Is the older (150-) series frame also referred to as "Humpback" ? I found a set online that describe the grips as being for "Ruger Double Action "OLD MODEL" (Humpback!) Security-Six, Service-Six .38Sp, .357Mag & etc Revolver's, with a Square Butt" Does this sound right for a 150 series frame? Feel free to PM if you want.
Thanks in advance!

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
Quick answer - Yes.

Cheap advice - Keep an eye open on Ebay for a set of the early frame,
humpback, lowback, 150 prefix series grips, I got a really nice set for
around $10 recently. The seller just listed them as Security Six grips
but they were obviously the more scarce and more expensive 150 series.

I guess nobody picked up on them 'cause they only got 3 bids.

Carry on Lad.

CaptHank

Bearcat
One of my boat guns used for SD while cruising and fishing in the Bahamas, is a Security Six, 6", Stainless, SN 160-721XX. I purchased a set a Houge Grips, but they have a very poor fit at the back strap. Are there any other grips that someone would recommend? I want the rubber grips because of the possible wet conditions.

I really love the way it shoots and trigger in DA and SA is great. I wish that I could say the same about my Super RedHawk, what a God awful action. I did the IBOK trigger job and changed out the springs. SA is much better, but the DA is still a beast. I dry fire at least 1000 times a day trying to smooth things out. I damn near have a blister starting on my finger. My one complaint with Rugers is the trigger.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Scotsman,
Heres a visual,
Terry

sec.jpg

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
Capthank - I think that wood grips, treated with lemmon oil or something,
would hold up fine in a saltwater environment.

I bought some out of production Sile wood grips, large hand filling,
off of Gunbroker for my 4" Security Six made in the first year of
production (150 prefix) and they needed some minor fitting but are
a good choice over the factory grips, which I don't mind using too.

I have seen them a couple of times on ebay recently.

CaptHank

Bearcat
Doc, I will keep my eyes open on eBay. I guess I should be giving Houge hell for not having the proper fit. Very strange, I have Houge's on my Smiths and they fit like a glove.