130 prefix 1-S joins the stable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I finally filled a niche in my #1 modest collection. I have been looking for a non prefix 1-S in a caliber I don't already have in other configurations.

Today I picked up a 130 prefix Medium Sporter in 300 Win Mag. I may be wrong, but it appears to have a first generation checkering configuration on the pistol grip.

According to the RENE guide, the highest known Mershon recoil pad was SN 130-03860. This has the Mershon pad and is SN 130-05016.

Anyway, whatever the nuiances are, it is still my first 1-S. Paid over $700 for it, but I wanted it. 8) Nice wood too! :D

A few quick pix........

1-S001.jpg

1-S002.jpg

1-S003.jpg

1-S005.jpg

Dave :wink:

Cholo

Staff member
Well, that didn't take long! Absolutely beautiful! That extra moolah burned a hole in your pocket in record time. :wink:

I'm not into rifles, but Ruger #1's to me are the most beautiful rifles Ruger ever made. Very nice find and congrats!

Cholo":oepewwz6 said:
Well, that didn't take long! Absolutely beautiful! That extra moolah burned a hole in your pocket in record time. :wink:

I'm not into rifles, but Ruger #1's to me are the most beautiful rifles Ruger ever made. Very nice find and congrats!

What's funny is that was payed for by a sale........still got the moolah! 8)

Dave

Sam Johnson":2b2fwrqo said:
Dave, That is a very pretty rifle. Now we need a range report.
Did you find it at the Portland show this past weekend?

No Sam, in a local gun shop. They just put it out on consignment Monday. Haven't been to that shop in awhile. Will have to be a more frequent visitor, I guess! :D

Dave :wink:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
That is a very good grab, and the price was certainly right. As most of us #1 loonies know, they did not use recievers in serial number order, so it's possible that this was put together before one with a lower serial number. You should call Ruger and get the production and shipping dates to be sure. At any rate, this is a dandy rifle and I'm jealous. I hope I can find an early 1S at that price in the near future.
Now if it had been a non-prefix gun with the right forend checkering pattern, then it would be an even greater find - as in needle in a haystack.
Happy Thanksgiving.

An additional note. I removed the forend and the date stamped inside is Jan 3 1971, so it probably was assembled a little earlier than thought. By the DOM list in RENE, it should be late 1973. I'll call Ruger and get the specifics.

Dave

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Dave, Very nice rifle and quite rare. According to Joe Clayton, author of the Ruger No.1 book any 7 Mag or 300 Win Mag under 130-15000 is quite rare, a 10 by his rarity scale. I have No.1-S 7 Mag sn 130-00900 shipped July 2, 1970.