12th Annual Ruger Forum East Coast Gathering

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prayers that the rain holds off/goes elsewhere. If I was going to be there I should have already left. Sigh! Going to miss it, I shot my crossbow yesterday evening. Deer archery season is open now, so I will probably get some early AM hunting Saturday at a local WMA. Y’all have fun!
gramps

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
Well...I am officially - OUT.
I live in NC, and there are tropical storm conditions in my area, and enough rain and wind gusts later this afternoon to cause a large broken branch / onsite power cable problem that prevents me from making it.

Contender - I sent you an e-mail earlier on that.

Sucks man...I was really looking forward to the range time and camaraderie.

Last edited:
Frank:
I think some of the tales get longer every time I’ve been here.

The weather couldn’t have been better. It rained Friday night, but absolutely perfect on Saturday. Just unbelievable.

The low country boil was Delicious!

It’s well worth the drive. We tried to figure out how to get more people to come. It was great to see everyone though.

I’m sure more people will chime in.

markh66

Bearcat
New guy here. I thought I would give it a go since I'm only about a 3 hour drive from Lake Lure. Glad I went, had a great time. I'm amazed at the generosity of these members. Knowing the price of ammo and reloading components, these folks shared guns and ammo and you could tell a great time was had by all.

I'll have to mark the calendar for next year.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to being busy,, I haven't been on the forum since yesterday morning. BUT,,,,,, Another Gathering is behind us.
I hated to hear Swampbilly_2 had weather related issues & hopefully he has it corrected. Maybe next year,,,!
Mark,, glad you were able to make it. You left before the food was served. Everybody seemed to enjoy the Low Country Boil,,,,,,, again,,,,,!

We also had a few folks visit who aren't on the Forum. One young man,, (Nick,) is a fairly new Ruger .357 Maximum owner,, whom I've been teaching to reload,, AND how to enjoy his Ruger. He, and his older brother were here. They both enjoy shooting a lot,, and proved they are quite capable behind a trigger. They got to experience many different guns & such. Their Dad dropped by later in the day,, and had a little fun,, & enjoyed dinner.

Sam (a member here) came by for a while,, and he too had some pleasant trigger time. He couldn't stay all day,, as his wife is dealing with cancer,, & he takes care of her a lot.

Danny (another local, and lurker here,) came & brought one of his daughters. All smiles there.

All in all, we had fun.
Blume & Kevin took pics,, and Blume shot some video from his drone. SO,, pictures will be forthcoming. I got busy & forgot my camera. My apologies.

So,, if anybody wants to attend,, plan for next year. Normally the 1st weekend in October.

What an absolutely great day spent with fellow shooters. The weather was perfect even though I'm going to blame the mudd on my boots for how slow I was on the combat shooting course Contender set up.... I'll will work on a video but it will probably be a week or so before I get around to it. I missed the low country boil too... (even though I did snag a few pieces of sausage before I took off) I really don't like driving at night, especially on back country mountain roads... I was kind of disappointed in that I had planned to show up late that morning after most guys had shown up and so would not have to help putting out the tables and such.. no such luck. Seems everybody was a little slow first thing Saturday morning.

Attachments

• DSCN8998 (1).jpeg
    DSCN8998 (1).jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN8998.jpeg
    DSCN8998.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN9006.jpeg
    DSCN9006.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN9005.jpeg
    DSCN9005.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN9001.jpeg
    DSCN9001.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN9000.jpeg
    DSCN9000.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN9007.jpeg
    DSCN9007.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 75

harley08

Single-Sixer
I would like to attend next year!
How much to attend?
Ruger guns only?
Where is it going to be held?
When is it going to be held?
Hotels nearby and how much?
Camping nearby and how much?
Thanks, Dave
[email protected]

What an absolutely great day spent with fellow shooters. The weather was perfect even though I'm going to blame the mudd on my boots for how slow I was on the combat shooting course Contender set up.... I'll will work on a video but it will probably be a week or so before I get around to it. I missed the low country boil too... (even though I did snag a few pieces of sausage before I took off) I really don't like driving at night, especially on back country mountain roads... I was kind of disappointed in that I had planned to show up late that morning after most guys had shown up and so would not have to help putting out the tables and such.. no such luck. Seems everybody was a little slow first thing Saturday morning.
Thanks for the pictures Blume. Yesterday i had BBQ pulled pork at the “Slick Pig”, my SIL had brisket, Yum. Today the SIL is coming over for range time. Not the same as the gathering, but adequate. I am working on him to come with me next year. Y’all have been warned lol
gramps

harley08: Contender has the answer to all of your questions... but I can answer the first five... There is no charge.... bring what ever gun you feel comfortable with and would like to show off.... I brought 8 (I think) and one of them was a Ruger.... It's always held at Contenders private Range the first weekend of October...

I’m on my way home. It will be later this week before I can post some videos but I did get some nice video of both Contender and Blume running the competition range that Contender set up.

I also got some nice pictures of various people shooting.

94BF9A41-019A-4104-9AAB-61D3444E4F23.jpeg

It’s kind of hard to post pictures from my phone. But this one is a nice pic of Contender’s cat. One of them at least. :)

Cholo

Staff member
Another most excellent meet with some fine folks! A special thanks to contender for hosting the meet and for all he does to make it happen including prepping the range! Another tip of the hat to contender, again, and Miss Penny for all the great cooking for both Friday evening and Saturday! It does take a lot of their time which they give so generously.

We had 3 young gunslingers, 2 males and one female, who tore up the range :) It's good to see the younger folks involved with the sport and shooting so well to boot!

Again, thanks to contender and Miss Penny for making it happen!

Cholo:
You are so right, Contender and Miss Penny must spend a huge amount of time getting everything set up for this weekend. Both set up on Friday and tearing it down on Sunday.

And the food is so good!

Thank you very much!

contender

Ruger Guru
Y'all keep it up & I'll be blushing! :D

Miss Penny & I enjoy having everyone visit. It does take a little bit of work,, and of course,, worrying about the potential weather issues. Luckily,, we had GREAT weather.

And to answer harley08's questions;
(1) You can attend.
(2) NO CHARGE!!!!!!! I own they place & I do not charge a dime.
(3) NO, and I repeat,, NOT only Ruger guns. All legal firearms are welcomed. In general,, not too many rifles,, as we have such a set-up to where it's mostly handguns. BUT rifles do appear,, but we just can't do any distance shooting over about 25 yds due to the layout of my range.
(4) & (5) Held at my place, near Lake Lure NC. And we try to always have it the first weekend in October.
(6) Hotels; You can get rooms in Lake Lure or Chimney Rock,, but you'll pay tourist prices. Many folks stay in Forest City NC which isn't too far away. About a 25-30 minute drive, and the rates are much more reasonable.
(7) Camping; If you wish,, you can camp on my range property. Again, NO CHARGE.

So that sums up your questions. It's just basically a social gathering,, with a lot of shooting,, and a little bit of eating fun. And of course,, a lot of lively discussions.

Good picture of Ron & his Maxi. There were (3) Maxi's in attendance. (I didn't even have to drag out one of mine!)

The cat. Great picture of "Munchkin". That boy arrived here exactly (1) year ago on Sept 30th. He was adopted by Miss Penny. He's a great, loving & fun cat. Very social & active. He's one of (4) we have here.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Y'all keep it up & I'll be blushing! :D

Miss Penny & I enjoy having everyone visit. It does take a little bit of work,, and of course,, worrying about the potential weather issues. Luckily,, we had GREAT weather.

And to answer harley08's questions;
(1) You can attend.
(2) NO CHARGE!!!!!!! I own they place & I do not charge a dime.
(3) NO, and I repeat,, NOT only Ruger guns. All legal firearms are welcomed. In general,, not too many rifles,, as we have such a set-up to where it's mostly handguns. BUT rifles do appear,, but we just can't do any distance shooting over about 25 yds due to the layout of my range.
(4) & (5) Held at my place, near Lake Lure NC. And we try to always have it the first weekend in October.
(6) Hotels; You can get rooms in Lake Lure or Chimney Rock,, but you'll pay tourist prices. Many folks stay in Forest City NC which isn't too far away. About a 25-30 minute drive, and the rates are much more reasonable.
(7) Camping; If you wish,, you can camp on my range property. Again, NO CHARGE.

So that sums up your questions. It's just basically a social gathering,, with a lot of shooting,, and a little bit of eating fun. And of course,, a lot of lively discussions.

Good picture of Ron & his Maxi. There were (3) Maxi's in attendance. (I didn't even have to drag out one of mine!)

The cat. Great picture of "Munchkin". That boy arrived here exactly (1) year ago on Sept 30th. He was adopted by Miss Penny. He's a great, loving & fun cat. Very social & active. He's one of (4) we have here.
Please let Miss Penny know that I Greatly MISSED not being there for her Friday Night dinner which is always delicious!!

As I said, I'll try to work on the video I made of the folks shooting next week.. the issue is I filmed it with a drone and there is no audio with that but I also recorded the audio on a different camera and need to sink (sp) the two together... in the mean time here is a picture of the gun range.

DJI_0057.jpeg

Latest posts