12th Annual Ruger Forum East Coast Gathering

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin, yes, bring the 16 ga shells. What Ron doesn't take,, I know a few folks who'd like some.

Yeah,, a scuba tank full of air could be a rocket if the valve got knocked off,, but that is a rare occurrence if properly handled. Just lay it down, and block it to where it can't roll around.

The potential rain.
Well, first off, I hope Charlie is ok & gets through the storm ok. Keep us posted Pam. And we'll miss y'all too!
Apparently the storm is passing over FL. on a more southern track than first thought. They say it's possible for the storm to turn NW & come my way. If so,, it'd be a rare thing. And with our mountains & all, it often deflects things away from us. Still too early to tell just what or how much we'll get.
Remember,, God is in control of it.

All is still a "Go" for the Gathering. But we'll just have to wait & see just how it shakes out.

Well I left today. Right now I’m in Meridian Mississippi.

On the positive side. There is a bbq restaurant, started by a guy named Rodney Scott. He got his start in South Carolina and has won the James Beard award. Anyhow, he also has a restaurant in Birmingham, AL. That’s lunch for me tomorrow. I can’t tell you how excited I am. I bought Rodney Scott’s book this past summer and his theories and business practices are really impressive.

My Prediction is heavy rain Friday and maybe still a little on Saturday morning but just damp on Saturday afternoon.....

Kevin, if you had the time and inclination I'd say swing by Georgia Arms and pick up some ammo while on the way... they are somewhere on the west side of Hotlanta. In fact I would not mind some bulk ammo in 357 sig... like 500 rounds loose in a 30 cal ammo can....

Blume:
Thanks for the weather update. But as far as Georgia Arms, I’m not driving through Atlanta….or Georgia for that matter. Sorry, I would pick you up some ammo if I were.

I’m going Birmingham, AL, then Chattanooga, TN, then Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, TN.

I’m actually going back the same way, with a couple detours along the way. Well, depending upon weather I suppose.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
Blume:
Thanks for the weather update. But as far as Georgia Arms, I’m not driving through Atlanta….or Georgia for that matter. Sorry, I would pick you up some ammo if I were.

I’m going Birmingham, AL, then Chattanooga, TN, then Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, TN.

I’m actually going back the same way, with a couple detours along the way. Well, depending upon weather I suppose.

If you're passing through Sevierville TN, a stop at Smoky Mountain Knife Works is usually interesting.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Sorry guys, BUT the weather people ALL show IAN heading up North and then cutting across s. Carolina to hit the area around Contender's place; BUT then who can believe the idiots on TV ?
Good Luck, Stay Dry !

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
My Prediction is heavy rain Friday and maybe still a little on Saturday morning but just damp on Saturday afternoon.....

Kevin, if you had the time and inclination I'd say swing by Georgia Arms and pick up some ammo while on the way... they are somewhere on the west side of Hotlanta. In fact I would not mind some bulk ammo in 357 sig... like 500 rounds loose in a 30 cal ammo can....

Last I checked it seems safe to say 100% chance of rain for Friday evening.
The rain percentages for Saturday and Sunday have been fluctuating....actually dropping.
Yesterday morning was in the 90's percentile for rain potential on Saturday....now around 55% - 60% chance for Saturday.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, keep the faith.
My family 30 miles north of Orlando was prepared for the worst.
Then the hurricane arrived as a tropical storm.
Minimal damage. Losing power was about the worse thing that happened to them.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as I read these posts, I was GLAD to see Pam is still able to let us know she's around. Stay safe!

Ok, as I said,, God is still in control of the weather,, and while they seem to know a fair amount about forecasting,, it's still unsure as to what we'll get here. Now,, it appears that Friday may be the worst here,, and some on Saturday. We'll see.
Time will tell.
Luckily,, were I'm at, in the mountains,, it tends to keep us more protected. Just the rain may be an issue for a bit.

My wife is watching acu-weather and it keeps showing the bright red swirling himacane coming straight up through SC and onto Contenders place... then I go to the Noah weather web sight and it says at least for here in Greenville. Rain and windy on Friday with some high gust into the night and then some rain on into Saturday morning.... and that is it.... My wife, she who must be obeyed, is implying that I can't leave her and the dog alone during this massive storm of the millennium (that is so bad, nothings been this bad before).... so, we'll just have to see.. by the way... what's going on on Sunday? Y'all still planning to shoot Sunday afternoon?

Also, I had to call a guy just a while ago ... he's buying a house here and I inspected the chimney last week and we needed to discuss my findings and in talking to him I found out he lives in Tampa... and is there now... the worse he had was a small tree he just had planted blew over and he has to go out and pull it back over straight......

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
My wife is watching acu-weather and it keeps showing the bright red swirling himacane coming straight up through SC and onto Contenders place... then I go to the Noah weather web sight and it says at least for here in Greenville. Rain and windy on Friday with some high gust into the night and then some rain on into Saturday morning.... and that is it....by the way... what's going on on Sunday? Y'all still planning to shoot Sunday afternoon?

Also, I had to call a guy just a while ago ... he's buying a house here and I inspected the chimney last week and we needed to discuss my findings and in talking to him I found out he lives in Tampa... and is there now... the worse he had was a small tree he just had planted blew over and he has to go out and pull it back over straight......

For Florida...it seems Naples, and points around there, took it the hardest. Tampa was fortunate to be on the weak side of the hurricane.

Rain chances on Saturday & Sunday continue to drop. Lake Lure forecast - Friday, still a soaker....rain forecast for Saturday has dropped from a high of around 94% to now 38%. Sunday forecast dropped from a once high around 62% to now 17%. I hope the plan is for a full day on Sunday...that is shaping up to be the best shooting day, of partly cloudy with small chance of scattered showers. As it stands now, any rain on Saturday will likely be AM, with more shooting opportunity during later Saturday afternoon.
Winds are expected to be only 5 - 10 mph.

Last edited:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Just Talked with Wizofwas and he came through the storm okay; Said he had a generator ready to start but never needed it. No flooding at his place in St Pete. We both had been watching and looking at the storm maps and the interesting thing is; IF we were to head that way, Up I-75, across on 301 till we could hit I-95 then on North to I-26 and Ty's place; Looking at the maps, DIRECTLY in IAN's projected pathway to hit the coast along there.
So Sorry, and pray we will see y'all next year.

I may hold off and just drop by Sunday afternoon... after sitting in the Narthex of my church from 11-12. It's a job I volunteered for. Really need to bring some stuff and show support ...

Duke power just texted me saying expect to loose power. But what seems to always happen with storms up here in the north west of SC is they tend to follow I-85. Is one of the reason I complain about where the government put it... if they had run it about 50 miles south of here then we would not have nearly as many thunderstorms coming through.

Glad Wizofwas and Colonial Girl faired well... I've got sweep friends down there and have not heard from them yet.... heard one guy left St. Pete and went to Orlando to get away from it......

Blume, I use the Weather Bug app. It shows Saturday during the day in Lake Lure as being cloudy, but no rain.

Around Dallas we usually get rain at night. Is it like that over here as well?

Anyway, I just got to Pigeon Forge, it was a longer drive than I thought it would be.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm glad to hear wiz & CG are ok. Glad to know y'all survived anything bad! :D

Well, the LOCAL forecast as well as much of the national forecast says that tomorrow afternoon, (Friday) & into the evening will be raining here. Moves out overnight friday night, & Saturday starts a little cloudy & then clears up. MAYBE a few scattered showers.

Looks like we'll be just fine here. The range may be a little wet for a while Saturday.

yep, my latest plan assuming the boss clears it is to mosey up that way on Saturday and then leave late Saturday.... My wife pointed out that we are scheduled to go down to Folly Beach next Saturday for a 'short' stay and she is wondering of we will have a house to go to... right at this moment the web came in downtown Folly showing the beach is still working... that's the most up to date way I can find about what is really going on down that way. I do have a friend I can text but she might have headed inland.

Yeah, I’m looking at the weather bug app and it shows just clouds, no rain for Saturday during the day.

I’m so glad I came. I did think about bowing out. But figured the drive would be fun no matter…

Sam Summey

Single-Sixer
At 9:15 Fri AM the weather storm forecast is major storm eye East of Charlotte, moving away from Lake Lure. Good luck, forecast gets better by the hour.