12th Annual Ruger Forum East Coast Gathering

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SLG

Bearcat
Kevin,

Yeah, 14 hours is a long day in the car. I need to get down to Dallas for some shooting with some friends too. Only 8 hrs but still a long day. I'm sure its worth it, but I'm just not up for 28 hrs of driving for a day in between.

Uhh,,, hmmm,, Kevin,, you are a bit off course. Lake Lure is in WESTERN NC,, east of Texas,, but NOT eastern NC. :D :D
Yes, Western NC. Not sure what I was thinking. Perhaps because I drive East to get there…

Hey, how is the weather supposed to be next weekend? Right now on my weather app it shows a 50% chance of rain on Saturday.

It looks like that hurricane is curving up through Florida towards NC.

Yep, right now the government is saying 50%... but you know that does not really mean 50% chance.... I'm always confused about that and I'm sure there is someone here that can explain it better but I think it means at some time during the day 50% of the area will get rain.

Edit: Well I looked it up and was wrong but in realty am even more confused:

"The probability of precipitation (POP), is defined as the likelihood of occurrence (expressed as a percent) of a measurable amount of liquid precipitation (or the water equivalent of frozen precipitation) during a specified period of time at any given point in the forecast area. Measurable precipitation is equal to or greater than 0.01 inches. Unless specified otherwise, the time period is normally 12 hours. NWS forecasts use such categorical terms as occasional, intermittent, or periods of to describe a precipitation event that has a high probability of occurrence (80%+), but is expected to be of an "on and off" nature."

We've had rain before during the Gathering, it might slow down the shooting a bit, but we have a grand ole time anyway talking about anything and everything. Like most times I'll be bringing some give-aways, I go through my stuff and gather up items that I haven't used in a long time and probably won't in the future and let others who might have a use for them have them.

Even if raining we can show off the guns we bring and answer the who, what, why, where, how about them.

hittman

Staff member
Somebody let me know please if the Uncle Mike’s Redhawk grips are a hit!

Too bad they quit making them but …. You do see them for sale once in a while.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as Ron has mentioned,, we did have one year that the rain kept us indoors mostly. But we still had a good time.
Right now,, we do not have an accurate idea as to the potential for rain. The hurricane is what they are watching.
Historically, my little slice of WNC never gets hit hard by such things due to the mountains all around us.
We may get some rain & some wind,, but nothing serious here.
I'll have a better idea of the weather in a few more days. And,, I do have canopies for the range & such. We'll just have to see how it shakes out!

And yes,, we'll get folks to try out the Uncle Mikes grips. I've already taken my .44 out to see how they feel. I'm awaiting others opinions.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
Well, as Ron has mentioned,, we did have one year that the rain kept us indoors mostly. But we still had a good time.
Right now,, we do not have an accurate idea as to the potential for rain. The hurricane is what they are watching.
Historically, my little slice of WNC never gets hit hard by such things due to the mountains all around us.
We may get some rain & some wind,, but nothing serious here.
I'll have a better idea of the weather in a few more days. And,, I do have canopies for the range & such. We'll just have to see how it shakes out!

And yes,, we'll get folks to try out the Uncle Mikes grips. I've already taken my .44 out to see how they feel. I'm awaiting others opinions.

As of today....Monday...the forecast for the Lake Lure NC area is as follows...as far as chance of rain :

Friday - 84%

Saturday - 88%

Sunday - 58%

I'm planning to bring a load of stuff to give away too. I've got a friend I've been inviting for years and he's never been able to make it but he's trying to negotiate some stuff so he can. I also invited the two North Carolina guys that came a few years ago but I think they are too tangle up in work to make it.

Ty... I think that scuba tank still has close to 3,000 lbs of air in it, should I let some out before I bring it? it is in almost brand new condition... I used it for years about once ever year or two... had to have it inspect every time I got it filled. It's been sitting here in my office for the last 4 year and is probably potentially a bigger bomb than the 6lbs of black powder and 4lbs of Tannerite I had in my storage locker with my ammo.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, the weather forecast is not looking good,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,, it's still not a given we'll get that much rain etc.
Watching it closely.

Blume,, do not drain that tank. It's actually better if kept full.
It contains air,, not O2. Non-explosive.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
Yes,, the weather forecast is not looking good,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,, it's still not a given we'll get that much rain etc.
Watching it closely.

Blume,, do not drain that tank. It's actually better if kept full.
It contains air,, not O2. Non-explosive.

Correct...scuba tanks contain compressed air...breathing oxygen at depth is toxic.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear that about your wife, Frank.

I’ll bring a camera as well. For me, the drive over is just beautiful. I’m going to be in Seiverville, TN on Thursday night. Then Friday it’s back country roads pass the Bush Bean factory.

Then in NC, just before Lake Lure you cross over the Continental Divide. And man, is that road full of twists and turns.

So yeah, I’ll post some pictures of that part of my trip as well.

I discovered the Bush Bean factory by accident, several years ago. I often get off of the major Interstates and take the more remote highways, time permitting. I was doing just that and saw the sign for it.....stopped and had a very interesting visit at Bush Beans.

We go there just about every time we're in the area, love picking up their recipe cards. I did a trial once after being there. I asked people at work where Bush's beans came from, almost every one said Hmm, baked beans, probably New England. They were surprised when I told them where they come from and some of the history of Bush's.

Terry T

Buckeye
A bit far. Maybe next time. Need to plan my East Coast trips better. Sounds like a great time, rain or not. Of course, out here in the very dry West, rain sounds great. Wish you could send some our way.
Terry T

As far as give-aways are concerned. I'm getting packed right now. I have some 16 gauge shotgun ammunition. Would this be of interest to anyone? Because if I haul it out there, it sure isn't coming back with me. I don't have a 16 gauge anymore, and don't plan on getting one again. Shotguns in general have never interested me that much really.

I know it's air but if the valve blows off it is not a good thing.... just like a compressed oxygen tank.... that rocket will most likely take off and go through what ever is in the way....

the dive master down in Belies was not happy when I ran out of air at 110ft..... It was probably a number of things .... first was us having to share his tank... at least he had a spare regulator.... also that was probably going to cause them to have to re-certify the tank... but it was better than having to fill out the paper work if I did not come up alive.

I wish I had a better understanding of weather forecast.... NOAh is saying for Saturday: Rain likely before noon then Showers likely between noon and 2pm and then showers likely with possible thunderstorms after 2 pm .... that sounds like water falling out of the sky all day to me.... but what do I know? I sure would like to know the difference between 'rain' and 'showers'.

Last edited:
Well, rain or not, I’ve got my hotel reservations set, so I’m packing my truck up today.

Hopefully, As always, the weather isn’t half as bad as the weather people say it is going to be.

Kevin, Bring the 16ga ammo. I have a few people up my way that probably would be interested in it. I'll pass the money on to you if I can sell it (I think I can, I've had several shotgunners ask me for any 16 ga. I can find.)

Tyrone, tell Miss Penny her goodies are done. :)

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Well, I just talked to Wizofwas (Charley) over in St Pete; He understands us not making it up there this years He IS gonna "hunker down" for the hurricane, says all the years he's lived there he never got flooded. So y'all have a good time, fire loads of ammo, enjoy Friday Night Dinner and the Saturday pot boil and we'll hopefully see y'all next year. PS: STAY DRY !!!!! lol.

Latest posts