125 grain 357 magnum load damage to revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Are you talking lighter guns such as j-frame or K-frame sized revolvers? I can't believe an N-frame sized revolvers would have problems.
I have a 27 that has fired thousands of rounds since the 60's and if anything it is better than ever because the action is butter smooth from wear. So 60 years of heavy use, very few low power or special loads and no problems. It is the 6 1/2 inch Nickel in the center of the photo. Still looks great too!

Attachments

• n frames.jpg
    n frames.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 54

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
you mean you would not buy a new modernized version which would add velocity without any damage to the top strap?
I've never had any top strap problems on any of my guns. I can get the velocities I need without damaging them. And I've shot some pretty high velocity, light bullet loads in several calibers.

So, to answer your question, no I would not. The design died for a reason.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
I've never had any top strap problems on any of my guns. I can get the velocities I need without damaging them. And I've shot some pretty high velocity, light bullet loads in several calibers.

So, to answer your question, no I would not. The design died for a reason.
velocity is lost with the cylinder gap. just because something is not made no more does not mean it was no good. look at diesel motors from a pickup to a tractor. 30 years ago they were the best now they are overpriced junk maintainist nightmares. ask any farmer about old tractors vs new computerized ones

harley08

Blackhawk
Correct. It isn't even something to debate on. When you get a new sp101 357 and compare it to a S&W the Ruger hammer, trigger and cylinder feels tight "new." The S&W equivalent & Taurus 605 "feel" loose and broken in already. Breaking in a mechanical object is "wear." It takes thousands of rounds to make the Ruger feel like the S&W and 10,000 rounds, or more, to make it feel like the 605.

This means that the Ruger will outlast both guns by the amount of rounds it takes to make it feel like the others when they are brand new. Everyone seems to look for technical reasons to explain the sometimes obvious.
My S&W 360 lightweight, .357 blew up in my hand. It was loaded with factory .38 specials. I sent it back to S & W they said not our fault, give us $650.00 and we will send you a new one. That's wrong! I will never buy another S&W! Very poor customer service! Ruger has great customer service! So does Taurus.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
My S&W 360 lightweight, .357 blew up in my hand. It was loaded with factory .38 specials. I sent it back to S & W they said not our fault, give us $650.00 and we will send you a new one. That's wrong! I will never buy another S&W! Very poor customer service! Ruger has great customer service! So does Taurus.
Wow. I've read before that their customer service was not the best, but I just chalked it up to a one time incident. I will have to pay more attention to future posts like yours.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
but hey you had a great trigger pull :geek:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
When did Taurus start doing excellent customer service? Must have been a recent turn of events.
Actually they are right. Taurus in the past few years, ever sine they hired a new CEO, has been light years better than in the past.

jdavis

Single-Sixer
Sure, but lucky my hand did not get hurt or some would have a lawsuit going on! Do not buy S & W - They have bad customer service!
Did you consider contacting the ammo manufacturer? I'm sure that they would want to see the remainder of the ammo and the lot number on the box. Faulty factory ammo isn't common but does occur and they will want to know about your KaBoom.

Flame cutting from stupid loads is well known. Don't do stupid crap don't win stupid prizes. There are a few dozen numbnuts loading these max loads in their basement. No major manufacturers would be willing to take the risk of selling sketchy crap.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
IDK about "better trigger pull;" the last few times I visited a gun shop the new (stock) S&Ws didn't seem to have any better trigger pull than the equivalent Rugers.

The Performance Center guns did, but then again you'd expect that out of a gun tuned from the factory. The M-19 Carry Comp I handled had an excellent trigger pull, which for $1100 out the door it darned well better have had. I also noticed that the breech end of the barrel on the newer K frames is a bit beefier than on the classics, perhaps because of the flame-cutting issue. (Since my preferred load in that size of gun would be the .38 158-grain +P LSWCHP, flame cutting probably wouldn't be an issue anyway.)

Still, given a choice between a 686 and a GP-100 and the price differential I've seen locally, I'd go with the latter, particularly the Match Champion version, and save enough money for a couple boxes of shells to go with it.

I have been reading a lot about the damage that can occur to a 357 magnum revolver when shooting 125 grain max loads. Would someone please explain to me exactly what is going on to cause the damage?
I don't want to over-tax my GP100 if it is a large problem.
I reload, and could allocate the 125-grain bullets to slower target loads and step up to 158-grain loads for self defense.

Your suggestions?

Thanks much.
Don't believe everything you read. Although excessive chamber pressures damage firearms in the most spectacular way, and excessive heat from burning powder can damage cylinders and forcing cones, SAAMI-spec ammo is safe unless you have some issue with your firearm. Excessive chamber pressure can come from a heavier bullet with the same powder charge, an increased powder charge with the same bullet, or a combination of both. Much less common, a hotter primer or a smaller interior volume of brass can cause increased chamber pressure. SAAMI specs for cartridges are safe and reasonable, and your GP100 is extremely strong, robust, and built to survive an overpressure cartridge, but not a steady diet of them. Don't lose sleep over bullet weights; many, many law enforcement agencies shot 125 grain and lighter bullets in very hot loads with regularity, and their firearms, even less robust than the GP100, were fine. U.S. Border Patrol regularly shot 110 grain semijacketed hollow point .357 magnums through K-Frame S&W Model 19s and were fine. U.S. Customs shot some very potent .357 magnums through their L-Frame S&W Model 686s and were fine. Keep it with SAAMI spec, you'll be fine.