12 things you should never do on airplanes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tips/12-things-you-should-never-do-on-airplanes/ar-AAd5FfG?li=AAa0dzB#page=7.

They left out the most important thing NEVER to do: Yell "hi" to your friend Jack!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
vito said:
They left out the most important thing NEVER to do: Yell "hi" to your friend Jack!
This is from the company I am retired from:
A number of years before every one was screened, one of the "customer
engineers" (repair techs for main frame computers) was flying out a
replacement memory unit to a customer's location. At that time the Basic
Operating Memory (BOM) was pronounced as BOMB. When the tech was
asked what he had in the box, he replied with the standard acronym.

It took a fair part of a day to get him released and the company quickly
renamed the Basic Operating Memory to Basic SYSTEMS Memory.
(True story)

P.S. Vito . . . . you might change your link to start with page 1.

RugerHound

Hunter
Speaking of BOMBs and airplanes...

In the turbine bizz, there's a series of lube oil tests that are performed routinely, and if/when an anomaly is found we would perform more intense testing to prove the oil is serviceable, or not... If our standard testing showed the TAN (Total Acid Number) was high, it often times meant that the oil was near the end of its service life and we'd recommend another test that was called: "RBOT" which stood for "Rotational Bomb Oxidation Test". We'd send a pint bottle of the in-service oil as well as a pint of the make up oil (new oil) for an RBOT comparison. This test would tell us if the oxidation qualities of the oil were played out.

Well, after 9/11, everyone got real screwy about the word "Bomb" anywhere around public transportation & shipping, and as a result the name RBOT was changed to RPVOT (Rotational Pressure Vessel Oxidation Test) so the word "Bomb" wouldn't alarm transportation folks!

skeeter

Single-Sixer
Top on my list is never sit by a guy who just ate 6 bean burritos. I had that happen once. He may not have eaten bean burritos, but it sure seemed and smelled like it. I wanted the oxygen mask to deploy or have the captain turn up the cabin pressure to keep the gas inside the guy until we landed.

RonSwanson

Bearcat
RugerHound: A fellow engineer at the electric utility I retired from pioneered a process of chromatograph testing power transformer insulating oil for gases indicating internal arcing that could lead to transformer failure. We had our operating divisions routinely send in oil samples for testing. To securely ship the oil samples by US Mail he developed a plan to place the sample bottles in soft packing inside a short length of 3" PVC pipe with a cap on each end.

I still remember the day that two FBI agents showed up at the office looking for him to explain just what the brown fluid leaking from a length of capped PVC that was addressed to him was.